• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Inusual trifasciata colour

rappaz

5 Year Member
Hi all, a very good friend has sent me this pic of of one of his trifasciata. It's a young male about 3cm more or less. What do you think? He's going to become more blue when he grow up?
IMG_20180201_221433_669.jpg

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

gerald

5 Year Member
Looks like he's already grown up, based on those dorsal rays. Either he has low melanin production, or the bare tank and light-colored surroundings are making him stay pale. He might darken if placed in a tank with dark sand and more wood, plants, rocks, etc. Was he tank-bred, and if so, do any of his brothers and sisters look like this, or are they all normal colored?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Gerald. It's fully mature. If only 3 cm then it is a stunted fish (not a problem really, breeding-wise). It appears to be a xanthistic sport to me.

rappaz

5 Year Member
As my friend says to me, he has been always as yellow as you can see in the picture, he has been in a "blackwater biotope" for to or tyree months and didn't show any diference.

I don't know what is a "xanthistic sport" fish, could it be a mutation that could be interesting to breed or it's a defect?

gerald

5 Year Member
The chemical pathway toward synthesizing melanin involves some intermediate steps that can produce yellow and red pigments. In a "xanthistic" mutation, some or all of the melanin production gets side-tracked and makes yellow pigment instead of black. As long it doesn't have any other ill-health side-effects, it could be an interesting mutation to breed.

rappaz

5 Year Member
thanks you gerald, so i'll try to get that pair and to breed them, i'll tell you something in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….