• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm not new to cichlids, just dwarf cichlids

kcgodlyman

Hi everyone. I've had tanks almost my whole life. I currently have a 16gal with a mixture of African cichlids. I just purchased a 37gal with LED lights, day and night lighting settings and an HOB. I'm adding a second HOB and an under gravel with at least 2 power heads. I'm going to use natural white African cichlid substrate 2 1/2" deep, stacked rocks and plants. I am thinking of a harem of shellies and one of apistos. Maybe some tetras or danios thrown in. Any advice, critique or comments are welcome. I'll take some pics of my little tank tomorrow.

gerald

5 Year Member
Aside from their different water chemistry preferences (hard vs soft), I think shellies (Neolamprologus) may be too aggressive for Apistogramma. Maybe if you get one of the least aggressive shellies (multifasciatus or similis), and put all the snail shells at one end of the tank, and use a hard-water tolerant Apisto like cacatuoides or macmasteri, it just might work, but be ready to intervene and move them if necessary. It sounds risky to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….