• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Rainbows

georgedv

5 Year Member
I understan this is a cichlid forum, but one can only appreciate & respect the wisdom found in this forum. I need some help iding some rainbows.

Last year Ted sold some rainbow eggs and I bought some;Mel. Splendida (deep water creek), Chil Fasciatus (faowi village), Mel Goldei (tank strain) and Gloss Dorityi. About six months into this the light above the 4 10gal tanks fell and cracked three of the tanks. I was luck and was able to save (I believe) all the fry and put them in the 4th 10gal tank. Since then they grew and are all now in a 55gal.

I have found many pics of these fish, including Teds Fish room, but i still have a tough time with females and some males.

If any one out there has photos or other means to id these species...help please. If any one also bought any of these rainbows from ted and is able to post or pm or email me pics.

Thank you for any help

george

aqua-nepz

5 Year Member
I understan this is a cichlid forum, but one can only appreciate & respect the wisdom found in this forum. I need some help iding some rainbows.

Last year Ted sold some rainbow eggs and I bought some;Mel. Splendida (deep water creek), Chil Fasciatus (faowi village), Mel Goldei (tank strain) and Gloss Dorityi. About six months into this the light above the 4 10gal tanks fell and cracked three of the tanks. I was luck and was able to save (I believe) all the fry and put them in the 4th 10gal tank. Since then they grew and are all now in a 55gal.

I have found many pics of these fish, including Teds Fish room, but i still have a tough time with females and some males.

If any one out there has photos or other means to id these species...help please. If any one also bought any of these rainbows from ted and is able to post or pm or email me pics.

Thank you for any help

george
Can you please share us your pics so that members can justify it.

georgedv

5 Year Member
I'll try to get some if they stand still long enough. Unfortunatly, I do not have a camera that can produce quality pictures.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to justify?

george

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think aqua-nepz means 'identify' rather than 'justify'... different meanings in English.

George... the Chil. fasciatus Faowi females will be elongated, yellowish is color and have a flat head. The Glos. dorityi females will also be elongated, but will be grayer and have a more concave top of the head with a sharper face. They will eventually develop higher bodies than the Chilatherina.

The Mel. splendida and M. goldei will be tougher to sperate until they are larger. The goldei females will be bluer with a strong lateral line bar, while the splendida will be redder without much of a bar. The splendida should develop some spangling in the fins that the goldei will ntoot have.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thank you Ted for the info. By just comparing the fish to photos, I had concluded that only one or two had survived...considering the mess I found that night. Maybe I am luckier. If not....Ted, are you going to have eggs soon!

george

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….