• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID help needed...

RAF

5 Year Member
Can someone ID this, please:

100_6230.jpg

100_6296.jpg

100_6297.jpg

... thanks.

RAF

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure that's a male Apistogramma 'Steel Blue'.

That was my first option, but then I remembered that I mantained a couple of those a few years ago and they weren't excactly the same. Then I went to google images to find steel blue and the photos I saw weren't exacly like it... red markings in these photos I posted seem to be absent. Well, either way, thanks, that was also my best guess.

RAF

5 Year Member
Ok... thanks to both...

...by the way, is it confirmed to be an hybrid? And if that's so is there any idea to what species were crossed... probably resticulosa, I guess, and what more?

Bilbo

5 Year Member
We have those here sold as Borellii.

What is a 'Steel Blue'? I have heard that is a hybrid and usually females are either impossible to find or the fish themselves are impossible to sex.

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
Yeah Bilbo,

We have them in Australia sold as borelie, or Apistogramma sp "opal".

You can tell by the black blob just in front of the tail - that gives the game away.

I always tell one of the big stores in Brisbane what they are. (They also insist on selling Apistogramma pandurini as a different species to Apistogramma panduro)

Steve

P.W.

5 Year Member

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….