• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Apistogramma viejita?

Rolo

5 Year Member
Okay, now I'm a bit confused and have to rethink my own definition of A. viejita, but I believe you're right.
Thank you for the explanation.
...but I never was and I am still not positive, that they are really two species. But I 100% agree, that there are extensive collections needed to build a proper opinion.

I'm ready to go do it - once the region's political and drug problems are resolved and peace is restored. It is slowly happening, but it still isn't safe for foreigners.
Tell me, when you'll go there, I want to come with you! ;-) ...I really like this mac-complex most of all and I'm sad, that we can't get more information due to political problems.

But Uwe told me, that there are efforts in progress, to get permissions from the drug syndicates to catch in these areas, themed "we are not interested in what you're doing, we just want to catch fishes." So we maybe don't need to wait until the political problems are solved. ;-)

regards,
Rolo

Panta rhei

I ask for an advice: if I would be able to find a couple of females from the same caught, which of the two males would you keep for a possible breeding?
Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If I have multiples of both sexes, I try to use all of them. I will crisscross males with females and then crisscross their offspring. It broadens the gene pool of my fish. If you wish to get the most colorful fish, then just line-breed the most colorful fish.

Memeboi

My Macmateri/Viejita eating a snail... never seen this behaviour by tank bred Apistos.

My A.Borellii (tank bred), at the very least are highly determined to try to eat the snails in their tank, they never do seem to actually get the snails though, maybe im just not noticing any empty shells. The behavior mimics this a lot. though when striking I notice that for a second the male will just float in the water (often tilting to his side a good amount) then charging the snail and attempting to take a bite. Idk just made me think of this.

Memeboi

My A.Borellii (tank bred), are at the very least are highly determined to try to eat the snails in their tank, they never do seem to actually get the snails though, maybe im just not noticing any empty shells. The behavior mimics this a lot. though when striking I notice that for a second the male will just float in the water (often tilting to his side a good amount) then charging the snail and attempting to take a bite. Idk just made me think of this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….