• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How were Agassizi 'Fire Red' created?

bludfire

Were Agassizi crossed with a different apisto to create the 'fire red'?

The fact they have no lateral band, no pre/post/supra/suborbital stripes among others makes me wonder whether they were crossed with another apisto or was it just bred out with the genetic selections?

Interested to hear opinions or fact!

Thanks

bludfire

Yeah i agree completely. Will only buy from BCA events/trusted breeders nowadays however I do have a soft spot for my Fire Reds who were what got me in to Apistos regardless of whether they are man made. Without them I wouldn't have the interest I do now.

gerald

5 Year Member
Fancy domestic strains are the foot-in-the-door to aquarium keeping for almost every hobbyist. Who among us did not start with a long-finned Betta, guppies, goldfish, red wag swordtail, mickey mouse platy, black mollie, albino Corydoras, veil angel, etc, etc. And how many micro-brewery connoisseurs did not start with a Budweiser. The mass-produced crowd-pleaser varieties do have their place in building the hobby.

DanielG

The last 'pair' of Agassizii's I bought included a female that had red fins and a red body with a pretty weak lateral line. Over the course of the past few months I've noticed that she is much more reclusive, and doesn't really...fight...for her food. She just hangs back and waits for the food to float in front of her face, otherwise, she likes to hang out in the Anubias and mind her own business.
I had a Tefe female in there at one point without a male, and things got weird... Link to that.

You will see in the linked thread the female girl I'm talking about...the Tefe has since passed. But this female kind of reminds me of what you're talking about. She is obviously 'lighter' than other Agassizii's I've seen, and her behavior sure shows how different she is. All in all, I don't like her. Her immune system has been crap compared to the male (and all other apisto's I've kept), and her temperament is pretty darn docile. Though, she does chase the occasional Tetra away...

My latest bout with Green Water may have pushed her over the edge. I've done 50% water changes every day taking care to match the temperature as much as possible, but I've already lost one tetra, and the female has gone into hiding. I'm 98% certain she isn't laying eggs either... :(

DanielG

Here's a pic of my female I'm referencing:
IMG_2858_zps657f12fb.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There is a population of A. cf. agassizii (BBCS) from the Santarem area that has a pale body, pale (almost translucent) caudal and strong red streak above the lateral band. I've seen photo of later, domestic bred, specimens in which the red was expanded. I'm pretty sure that this form was crossed with domestic strains of A. agassizii (Red) to add the red caudal. Such hybridization of closely related species has happened before in domestic strains of apisitos, e.g. "A. hongsloi II" and probably "A. viejita II" & some other color strains of "A. agassizii".

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't understand?? It's not like they will be re-introduced to the wild and pollute the genetics of the species. If you like them, then why not buy some?? Yes, it's probably a hybrid strain, but so are other popular aquarium fish, like most of the color strains of Platys and Swordtails - "A. viejita CFII" & "A. hongsloi CFII".

Kevin F Smith

I like them, and have a nice male right now, but I think the lack of the lateral stripe takes away from my perspective of the fish looking spear like and fierce, and slender, as aggies normally do. But the color is nice, it's lively, and a voracious eater. I plan to get more, but it would be nicer if it had at least a hint of the stripe, IMHO.

rr16

5 Year Member
I have a female that I think looks like this. She looks pale and appears to have blue eyes, but am not sure as only ever seen her in my blackwater tank (didn't look colse enough when I got her). She is the subordinate of the two and when both my females mated recently the male stuck with the other one and this one lost her brood earlier and had a smaller brood size. The lateral band is often very weak but sometimes shows up more!

rr16

5 Year Member
Here she is!

Attachments

• female apisto 1.jpg
    female apisto 1.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 553

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….