• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much patience?

RiC

5 Year Member
Hello all,
My a. agassizii have spawned for the second time since they became sexually mature, and for the second time they (I don't know which one) ate all of the fry. I could see one survivor for one day, but I'm sure the female saw it as a snack after a while.
Some people told me that they will learn pretty fast how to be "good parents," and I know that with fish it always depends, but from your experience, how many more spawns should I expect until it actually works?
Thanks!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sometimes it takes a few tries. Try a target fish or two. I like to use platies. Sometimes an 'enemy' will focus the parents. What are your water parameters? Sometimes fry will hatch, but if the water is too hard or not acidic enough they will drop in the first couple days.

RiC

5 Year Member
Thanks!
They are with a school of hatchetfish so they are not alone and they are well aware of the "strangers," believe me.
As to the water, it is very soft with a pH varying between 6,0 and 6,1.

RiC

5 Year Member
Alright, this morning they began to spawn once again. I'll let you know if that time everything works fine :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….