• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how good is my water for apistos

ronv

5 Year Member
My tapwater has a ph of about 6.8... TDS (Hanna Instruments TDS1 meter) is about 80. GH and KH are less than 50. I can't get anymore accurate than that with my API hardness liquid test kit.I'm getting several tanks cycled now and am pondering what fish. DW1305 has advised adding plants and waiting awhile before adding apistos. I have kept apistos and westies in the past with mixed results. I want to do it better this time. Is my water soft enough? If I do the peat/ oak leaf thing will I be OK with some of the more delicate apistos? Good species to start with? Thanks all.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most apisto breeders would give their left arm for tap water like yours! Yes, your water values are fine for apistos straight out of the tap (dechlorinate if needed of course). If you really need to lower the pH more, I suggest using peat.

WuddyWoodpeckah

5 Year Member
Oh.. those parameters are perfect. I'm moving to Alabama right now!!

You could do most of the clear-water/ whitewater species with your tap water (maybe with peat added).

What plants are you planning on having? What/ how much lighting do you have? Are you going to add CO2? With CO2 injection the pH might go down enough so that you dont need to add peat.

ronv

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. Yeah, I am proud of the water. That's why I'm interested in apistos. I like all fish, but why not make it as easy as possible. Pick the fish that fits your water instead of the other way around. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a few years away so I am still setting things up. (cycling, etc.). I've just ordered some floating plants, duckweed, frog bit, water sprite. I'm not a gardener. I just want plants to consume nitrogen and I hope to keep it as simple as possible. I'm not even terribly concerned with looks. My fish room is in the basement. I hope I can do without the CO2. But I'll do what I need to. I have a couple of live oak trees in my yard so I'll probable do that. Lighting right now is with "shop lights". I have a row of 2x4 flouresent tubes hanging over the (open top) tanks. It would be easy to add a second row and double the lights if I need to. I'm going to continue with some common fish from pet shops around here until probable September to stabalize everything and then I'll purchase maybe 6-8 different species of apistos/ westies (hopefull from someone on this forum). I'm a bit undecided between starting out with some of the more commom (easy) species or (with my water) diving right in with some more delicate types... My goal is baby fish!!! I'm sure I'll be a regular around her with all my questioms. Thanks again.

WuddyWoodpeckah

5 Year Member
with the plants you listed alongwith the shop lights, you should have no need Co2. one less hassle ;)

regarding the more delicate apisto species, some of them require very very soft and acidic water (for some, all the way down to pH 4.5). it may make more sense to start with the relatively easier ones (borelli, agassizii, cacatuoides, trifasciata, etc.) and then move on to the more difficult ones.

we look forward to pictures of the fish-room ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….