• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hemichromis sp. Moanda video

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hemichromis sp. 'Moanda' is the least aggressive of all the red jewels I have bred. Jeff (aquaticclarity) does not believe me because he had one on hte extreme end of the nasty scale once. So here is a video of a LARGE breeding pair (male is 4+ inches and the female over 2") that are living and breeding in a 40 breeder with two other pairs of jewels and about a dozen tetras. The pair chases and nips a few fins, but have not killed anything yet. They spawn about once every 10 days. I feed most of the fry to some H. frempongi juveniles. When this pair has free swimming fry to defend they become more aggressive because the fry spread out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x9ShvQaems

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Great video Ted. I brought home a group of five F1 Moanda from a business trip to San Francisco a few years back. They are fully grown now (and very peaceful!) but never managed to raise any offspring. It's probably because I keep the group in a 75G tank with six Tilapia tholloni, four G. ethylwynnae, and a few "leftover" African tetras.

Janos

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Ted,

I agree. I have a breeding pair in a 40 G with 5 other Hemichromis and a Pelvicachromis male. They are also one of the best looking jewel.
Steve

3868370583_e05006a2a7_b.jpg

joestreich

great video Ted. i just pick some of these up from Jeff. mine are still quite small and are in a 125 gal right now, so there is no aggression yet. i have never kept any Hemichromis before so i am looking forward to these guys.

i love the pic too.

Joel

viejo

5 Year Member
I have moanda that I got from Steve that are just approaching spawning size. Hopefully they will reproduce without glitches. I also have what we are now calling H. cf. cristatus UL-1 also from Steve that spawn constantly but the eggs refuse to develop. They look just like normal fertilized ova, a few obviously unfertilised ones turn white but the rest look good, never turn white or fungus, but do not develop. I'm thinking that I need to go to 'black water' conditions. Perhaps the stories re- certain eggs becoming hardened by calcium or magnesium, which I have had doubts about in the past, may have some merit.
Steve, what were the water parameters that you used for your successful spawns.

viejo

5 Year Member
Yep, it looks just like the cristatus in Loiselle's description. I would post a pic but am getting some static about "over my quota". I'll Email you one.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Thanks Ted for this really nice video, it's the first one I ever saw of this species!

H. sp Moanda is one of the rare Hemichromis spp. I intend to try to keep and breed one of these days (among reasons for that, the fact that they may be the real lifalili is not the least, but their "revert color pattern" towards H. stellifer would be a sufficient reason in itself).

I think you are already doing great with your camera, please do not hesitate to send more films of westies! :)

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The fish was not of the more frequently imported jewels over here for a few years. I have not seen them on any lists lately though. If you know of anyone traveling over here who can ferry fish, let me know and maybe we can get some fry into France.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Thanks Ted! This is really nice of you :) . I don't have any room free for now (focusing on trying to breed T. joka, S. pindu and N. transvestitus) but I hope it will change in 2010!

Regarding the opportunity to bring some back to Europe, maybe one possibility would be one of the next times you will see Anton? I usually meet him once a year at the congress of the French Cichlid Association.

While I'm thinking about it, do you think we will have the opportunity to read more about your Cameroon trip on your website soon? :biggrin: . I'm looking forward to it!

Regards,

Jérôme

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Anton has some. I saw them when I was there a year ago. He will be over here in July for the ACA convention, and if he needs any more I can send some back with him.

Swing an invitation for me to present at the FCA and I will bring them myself! :wink:

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Cameroon question

While I'm thinking about it, do you think we will have the opportunity to read more about your Cameroon trip on your website soon? :

Ted,

I had been contemplating a trip to Cameroon for 2011, but was told that the country had shut down all animal exports. Were you able to bring fish back with you, or have them shipped? Feel free to PM me if you prefer, I'd be interested to hear about your experience with this.

Thanks,
Brian Perkins
WildPERU
www.wildperu.net

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have heard no reports of Cameroon stopping all fish exports. Tropical fish export is actually an important industry for them. I will look into it. In 2009 we did not have any problems getting fish out.

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Cameroon question

Ted,

Thank you. I'll look forward to hearing what you find out. I am wanting to get down to the border areas with Gabon and inland somewhat (Sangmelima and south and east of there. My main interests are with the Killies, characins and barbs, but the P. taeniatus fish hold a special interest as well. I will be reading your account of the trip with special interest regarding car rental, the condition of the road infrastructure, security issues (banditry or unrest), and so on. What ever you can share in this regard will be much appreciated!

Best,

Brian Perkins
WildPERU
www.wildperu.net
www.wildperu.blogspot.com

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Export Ban

Interesting that I just got an email from my friends in Germany who say it was put in place Dec.1, 2009. I wonder which is accurate? :cool:

westafrica

5 Year Member
Anton has some. I saw them when I was there a year ago. He will be over here in July for the ACA convention, and if he needs any more I can send some back with him.

Swing an invitation for me to present at the FCA and I will bring them myself! :wink:

If this is serious and if the presentation schedule is not fixed yet, I can talk about it (cannot promise anything of course though):D . Whet would be the theme of your presentation?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….