• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hemichromis sp. "Guinea 2"

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've got a wild compatible pair of H. sp. "Guinea 2"'s but can't get them bumped into spawning. They are currently in a 40 breeder by themselves. The tank has sand on the bottom, several PVC caves (6" long pieces of 4" diameter tubes cut length wise to create open ended caves), a very large piece of driftwood, and a few Anubias sp. An Aquaclear 300 filters the tank on one end of the tank. pH 6.2-6.3 dkH well under 1 degree. Feeding consists of live black worms, O.S.I. flake and frozen brine shrimp. The fish are mature and the pair resulted of the self-thinning of 5 fish. The male is 6" and has a large nuchal hump. The female is around 4 1/2". The male actively courts the female, who does respond positively. But as of yet no spawning has occurred. The fish have been kept as a pair for about a year.

Any ideas on what I'm missing to provide the right spawning conditions?

Jeff

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have seen this pair.. great looking fish. I have given it some thought, and I think that I would try separating them for a while. First with a total divider, or moving the male for a few weeks, followed by a similar period of time with an egg crate divider that they can see/smell through. I am not 100% sure of what this would do except to break up their routine a bit. I have had it work for similarly-shy but aggressive CA/SA cichlids before.

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis sp. "Guinea II"

Hello Jeff,

For some reason, both Hemichomis sp. "Guinea I" and H. sp. "Guinea II" take longer to breed in captivity. My pairs of "Guinea I" took well over a year before producing any fry. If the tank is large enough, you might try indroducing an evenly-matched conspecific cichlid pair, providing both pairs of cichlids have sufficient room to establish their respective breeding territories. If space is an issue, however, introducing some good-sized dither fish is a good alternative. I've had success with both techniques.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Randall,

I’m nervous about putting another cichlid in with the pair since the pair formed out of a group of 5 fish. I was only able to save one of the non-pair. The others were shredded. I don’t have a bigger tank open currently to dedicate to the fish. I like Ted’s idea about dividing the pair, I’ve done this successfully with Teleogramma, but the large chunk of driftwood the jewels seem to like is in the way. The pair, in terms of age and size, should be mature. I’ve had the fish for well over two years and had gotten them as young adults from some one who had them for about a year. (I’m hoping my young group of Guinea 1’s turn out to be a little easier to work with! I’ve had them almost 2 years and they’re finally growing up.)

What do you think about using Danio dangila as dithers? Any other suggestions for dithers?

Jeff

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hey Ted,
If the dither route doesn’t work or if I just plain opt to go with the divider option do you know where I can get some nice pieces of driftwood?:wink:

Jeff

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis sp. "Guinea II"

Hello Jeff,

We don't like shredded fish! Okay, so much for the "attack fish" approach. Let's move on to the "dither fish" approach, shall we? Any of the larger danios should do (Devario malabaricus, Devario aequipinnatus, etc.), only when your pair does get around to spawning, it would be a good idea to remove the dither fish before the Hemichromis fry are free-swimming.

Some years ago, the cichlid breeding expert and super star Francine Bethea shared some of her tricks of the trade with me. Francine suggested not doing a water change for several weeks and then performing a major one. Alternatively, she also suggested lowering the temperature a few degrees for several days and then raising it to slightly higher than it was originally. From my experience, these suggested strategies should be combined with a protein-rich diet, consisting of frozen, freeze dried, and (safe) live foods. From what you say, it seems like your fish already benefit from an excellent diet. Perhaps if you varied it even further, the change might help the cause.

Best of luck!

Randall Kohn

Apistogramm-Sam

5 Year Member
aquaticclarity said:
The tank has sand on the bottom, several PVC caves (6" long pieces of 4" diameter tubes cut length wise to create open ended caves), a very large piece of driftwood, and a few Anubias sp.

Do you have any flat rocks or wood in the tank? All Hemichromis spp. are open substratum spawners. From my experience, the addition of a piece of slate or something similar worked wonders.

Good luck :)

Sam

phil ryti

5 Year Member
Simballa

I have had success spawning these about 3 years ago. They were at least 2 years old when they spwaned. Prior to laying eggs, for a week I fed black worms exclusively. The pH was around 7.2, I then did a water change adding pure R.O. water with 1 to 2 degrees hardness to their 60 Breeder. About 10 gallons worth. This lowered the pH to about 6.8 Within a day or so they spawned on a clay flowerpot layed on its side. Hope this helps any others regarding triggering a spawn. Try to imitate the rain.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Phil. I started raising the hardness and pH in the pair’s tank last night. I’ll try another 2 “hard water†changes over the next 2 weeks and then hit them with a super soft one shortly after the last hard water change. I’ll also ramp up the high protein feeding.

Jeff

phil ryti

5 Year Member
Inhabitants in tank when simballa spawned

Just off memory, there were 5 Adults in the tank. I had 3 pieces of African driftwood and probably 6 to 10 clay pots with slate stacked for shelves. I also use clay saucer bottoms. I glue the 2 together and notch out a side to create a cave. I used a whisper 4, a Hydro-sponge and an undergravel filter.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Phil,

The "hard water†approach seems to be having the desired effect. The male seems very horny...for lack of a better word, and the female is becoming receptive. I've gone back to feeding frozen brine shrimp in the morning and flake in the evening. When I have black worms they get some in the evening as well.

I'll do a massive R.O. water change sometime this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice,
Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….