1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with females

Discussion in 'South American Cichlid Identification' started by bussardnr, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bussardnr

bussardnr Member 5 Year Member

I got a group of mixed peruvian species from someone that went down there recently. I know I have an agassizii male and some bitaeniata.
    Is there an easy way to tell the females apart?

Heres a few pictures
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Those are the fish that wanted their picture taken
  2. bigbird

bigbird Member 5 Year Member

I would say F M F M and last poss 2 males. cheers jk
  3. bussardnr

Thanks, I ment to say is there a easy way to tell the females of the different species apart from each other.
  4. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Female A. bitaeniata have a squared of caudal when mature; a more horizontal lateral spot and a horizontal abdominal band below the lateral band. A. agassizii females have an oval/round caudal, more vertically oval to round lateral spot, and no abdominal band, just a smudge. My guess is that you have: 1. male A. agassizii; 2. immature male or a female A. bitaeniata; 3. juvenile apisto, probably A. bitaeniata, but hard to be sure from the angle of the fish; 4 & 5. young male A. bitaeniata.
  5. bussardnr

Thanks Mike. Out of 12 fish im going to be lucky to have 1-2 females. Anyone know where I could get some?