• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with diagnosis and treatment of disease

Nebraska_cichlids

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
473
Location
Lincoln, Nebraska
A few weeks ago I purchased a school of Hemmigrammopetersius caudalis and some Anomalochromis thomasi. I think the thomasi have some sort of parasite or infection; they are not eating, lose weight, and I've lost three out of seven so far. No other obvious signs of disease. (Luckily I put the fish in a quarantine tank when they arrived!) I started treating with maracyn-2 for infections and maracide for parasites. Any suggestions for alternative treatments? Thanks!
 

tjudy

Moderator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Messages
2,822
Location
Stoughton, WI
Do you know if they fish are tank raised or wild? Wild west africans will occasionally show up with nematode or other intestinal infections. I think that in the wild these fish can handle the parasite load, but the stress of shipping and lack of food decreases the overall health and makes it harder for the fish to fight the parasites. Levicide is a mild nematode medication that seems to work. I have started doing a three day treatment on all my wild-collected fish when I first get them. Levicide is available from various on-line sources, or ask a local veterinarian.

Here is a recent thread on the medication:

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=3769
 

Nebraska_cichlids

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
473
Location
Lincoln, Nebraska
Ted, I'm still messing around with my original treatment; not sure as to whether this is successful. My vet didn't know anything about levimasole (levicide). Can you point me to any of the online sources that you mentioned? Thanks.
 

tjudy

Moderator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Messages
2,822
Location
Stoughton, WI

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,792
Messages
125,190
Members
13,675
Latest member
Phap

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top