• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with apistogramma Identification

Lucas Stamford

Despite my username, which seemed appropriate, I am totally new to apistos! but dedicated and I'm loving to read all I can about it. This two were given to me free, not having identification at the store they were in, and I could not resist the kind offer.

I hope you guys can help me with both ID and sexing if possible. They seem to me to be two different species, but possibly male and female?
And I hope the pictures are not too bad.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-29 at 15.49.13 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-29 at 15.49.13.jpeg

As always thank you very much!

lucas

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
The second fish is a male, most likely A. erythrura. The only other possibility is A. trifasciata. However, in the latter case it should most of the time show a black stripe reaching diagonally downwards from the pectoral fin base to the vent. The first fish is more difficult to ID, my guess would be a young male of a resticulosa-complex species.

Lucas Stamford

The second fish is a male, most likely A. erythrura. The only other possibility is A. trifasciata. However, in the latter case it should most of the time show a black stripe reaching diagonally downwards from the pectoral fin base to the vent. The first fish is more difficult to ID, my guess would be a young male of a resticulosa-complex species.
Thank you very much!

If I understood correctly, it is said that A. erythura can be found at Rio Pacaás Novos ocurring in sympatry with A. cf. reticulosa "(Mamoré Blue)".

That being said, knowing those fishes are collected specimens and I'm almost certain came from the same shipment, it might be the case that the other fish is indeed A. cf. reticulosa. It could well be something else. Apistogramma taeniata? Can I cross eunotus or regani complex out of the list?

Other members may confirm or give other hypothesis. I hope I can bring the fish to good condition and being well mature it can be easier to be certain of its identification.

Last edited:

Lucas Stamford

complementing: as I know the fish was collected in Brazil, maybe eunotus complex is unlikely as I see the only one documented to be found in Brazil is A. sp. D16. But I can't find how A. sp. D16 looks or much information about it. I think the regani complex, in the other hand, have many representatives.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
That being said, knowing those fishes are collected specimens and I'm almost certain came from the same shipment, it might be the case that the other fish is indeed A. cf. reticulosa. It could well be something else. Apistogramma taeniata? Can I cross eunotus or regani complex out of the list?
taeniata- and resticulosa-forms can be very hard to distinguish - often merely by their catch location. If your fish are from the same shipment, it's much more likely a form of A. cf. resticulosa, because the taeniata-forms are found in the larger area around Santarem. Imo you can cancel eunotus- and regani-complex from your list. From the looks of the fish, the only other possibility would be a caetei-complex species. However, their area of distribution doesn't fit very well either.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
complementing: as I know the fish was collected in Brazil, maybe eunotus complex is unlikely as I see the only one documented to be found in Brazil is A. sp. D16. But I can't find how A. sp. D16 looks or much information about it. I think the regani complex, in the other hand, have many representatives.
You can find photos of D16 and many other species/forms on the world's best Apisto-website: www.tomc.no (see under "Apistogramma" in the left menu).

Lucas Stamford

in practical terms, for the intent of breeding, I see it will be nearly impossible to find a pair for the supposed cf. reticulosa, plus even if I get my hands on similar looking fish I won't be sure if they are the same thing, making a risk for hybridization.

For the erythrura, sometimes it is possible to find commercially, so it will be easier to find other fish to make a pair and I should focus on that as soon as I can

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
in practical terms, for the intent of breeding, I see it will be nearly impossible to find a pair for the supposed cf. reticulosa, plus even if I get my hands on similar looking fish I won't be sure if they are the same thing, making a risk for hybridization.
Maybe @Mike Wise can help you, he is much more knowledgeable than I am. If not, and you want to avoid hybridization (which is a very good idea!), I'm afrad you are right...

anewbie

aquaticclarity has erythrura for sale if you live in usa. The disadvantage is shipping is a bit sharp and also you don't know exactly what you have but if that is your intent you could buy a pair form there. Wetspot also sometimes have more exotic apistogramma for sale (though not as reliably as aquaticclarity); they also do a good job of qt'ing their fish before selling. There are other people and vendors but they are the only ones i have used that i have also found reliable to have good quality specimens.

Lucas Stamford

I live in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro) and since I wrote this thread I acquired information saying erythrura was actually received in some other stores in town, likely from the same shipment the store I live close by received it. So it certainly will be possible to find it! just have to dig a little. Shiping overseas is a great hassle

some wild apistos are hard to find here because most go for export, but erythrura is one that can be found occasionally! Knowing it was (or still is!) available from that shipment in other stores, I will manage to track some to form a pair.

Lucas Stamford

I have a pair of A.Erythrura right now and they are very pretty fish, even if you weren't originally intending to get them you won't be disappointed at all!

I was already planning to get some apistos, on the look for something different (I like the wild fish as opposed to line bred)! So this was perfect

It will be a very nice way to start! I just got to hunt for some females for this guy and wait for him to mature a little more

Lucas Stamford

The male is A. erythrura, but the other is a regani-group species
yes, I think it may be reticulosa. but I'm certain I will never breed this fish. the erythrura on the other hand I'm waiting for my local store to bring some so I can hopefully find at least one female

Lucas Stamford

No, not a resticulosa-complex species. It more likely is one of the ~25 species that are part of the regani-complex.
Got it! I will research the list and see if I can get closer to a conclusion with time...
Based on the previous picture I uploaded, Frank had the opinion that maybe I could cross regani-complex from the list of possibilities. I think the new picture gives much more detail. I will link to a quick video that has a good view of the fish.

Lucas Stamford

Why would anyone purposefully hybridize apistos without a good reason?
I meant crossing OUT from the list of possible species for identification for this apisto, referring to prior conversation here in this thread!! sorry
my bad for not being good at english!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….