• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help ID'ing Please

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
I purchased these fish awhile ago the first pair about 3 months ago, the last about 6 months (and was my first apisto). The first pair were sold as A. Steindachneri but unless I ended up with 2 females (I doubt) the male hasn't developed the lyrette tail. The third fish was sold to me as a borellii but has not developed either opel or yellowhead colouration, images attached below...

IMG_0008.jpg

Steindachneri 1?
IMG_0009.jpg

Steindachneri 1?
IMG_0011.jpg

Borellii? in front, Steindachneri 2? behind

I've gone through my books and internet but cant pin it on a single species, all help apprieciated

Andrew

KenL

5 Year Member
None of those fish look like steindachneri or borellii. The first pic could be a. sp "bluehead"

This is what steindachneri are like:
male
A_steindachneri_male.jpg

female in brood colours
A_steindachneri_female_brood.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
KenL is correct. The first 2 photos show A. sp. Bluehead/Steel-blue, probably a hybrid of 2 different species. Females are exceptionally rare. The third photo is not distinctive enough for me to be sure, but it certainly is not A. borellii! It might be A. sp. Wangenflecken/Cheek-spots. I will need a better photo to be sure.

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help guys, these pics are a bit better I hope, all of the one fish, the one being "Borellii"

IMG_0001.jpg

Nice head profile

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

2 & 3 much the same

IMG_0004.jpg

4 nice head close-up and sideish profile

Andrew

KenL

5 Year Member
Definitely not borellii.

borellii males must be about the easiest apisto to identify as nothing else looks like them at all really.

This is a pic of my friends "opal" version from a few years back

A_borellii_OPAL.jpg

Note the high dorsal fin, long extension to dorsal & anal fins, also the males never display the lateral band.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I still say it probably is A. sp. Wangenflecken/Cheek-spots. None of your photos show diagnostic dark markings like vertical bars and abdominal streaks. These are more commonly seen on frightened fish. Other colors on most apisto species are variable & therefore not diagonstic.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

I'm not sure about the identifcation as A. sp. "Wangenflecken".
The lateral band seems to be wider, as I never saw at my A.sp. "Wangenflecken" and the caudal spot looks different.
All in all it looks similar but different to mine.

ap_wangenflecken_m.jpg

But I'm not sure, what else it could be... surely a resticulosa or taeniata related species.

regards,
Rolo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….