• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help id male and female inka

jv_xbishop

5 Year Member
which inka is female and and which is male? can some one help me? they are supose to be a pair. one of them is dominant to the other. this one has a darker ring at the edge of the tail fin (photo1 bottom fish, photo2 top fish) and is yellower body than the other fish. my guess is that this one is the male but not sure. the other inka (i'm guessing female) does not have this darker line on the tail fin and is less colorfull or less yellow. although the seller did say the oppisite, "The female will have more black in the ventral fins." take a look at a couple of pictures below and let me know which is female and male. thanks.

photo1:
1.jpg

photo2:
P1010400.jpg

photo3: i'm not sure what this little white thing is but....i'll see it swim around once in a while. anyone know what it is?
P1010423.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
If there is a male it's the top fish in picture one. Look at the ventral fins (paired fins on the bottom of the fish)-females will have a noticable black front edge to the fins and males will have little to no back there. This is assuming the fish are mature as young Apistos can be tough to sex.

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I, too, think that you have 2 females. At ½"/12mm, they are too small to be absolutely certain. My suggestion is to either wait for them to grow a bit larger or buy a certain male.

jv_xbishop

5 Year Member
help id inka as female and male

here are the photos again and some individual. they are supose to be a male female pair. i named them fish#1 and fish#2. help me distinguish between male and female. thanks again.

photo1:
photo1.jpg

photo2:
photo2.jpg

fish#1:
fish1.jpg

fish#2:
fish2.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The last two pictures you posted give a better look at the ventral fins then the other pictures did. Based on those I would agree that you have 2 females. The black edge to the ventral fins screams female.

Jeff

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….