• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP: Growth on fins

Mil

Hi
My male cacatuoides has recently grown some weird growths on its back fins (white) and a single black one on its top fin.

I was away for Xmas for 2 weeks so it’s been the longest time that they have gone without a water change, although no other fish in the community tank of 30 fish has any signs of illness or anything and we’re all fine when I returned.

My LFS said that it’s not fungal but just some growth that can be brushed off with the fingers, which I tried today really delicately. But they didn’t come off and do actually feel like bumps/growths on the fins. I thought maybe fin rot but none of the other fish have anything.

Anyway if anyone has any idea that would be great, and how to treat please. He’s stopped eating the last 24 hours and is just now sitting at the bottom not really swimming.

Thanks
Mil

Attachments

• 07A2BF62-D0F7-40E9-A6F5-51DC9D5EB9EA.jpeg
    07A2BF62-D0F7-40E9-A6F5-51DC9D5EB9EA.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 386
  • EBC7616E-B437-4B94-AEB5-95870CC830AA.jpeg
    EBC7616E-B437-4B94-AEB5-95870CC830AA.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 402

Mil

Never mind, I just found him dead :(

Would still be interested to know if anyone knows what it was though.

gerald

5 Year Member
Whatever it is (bacteria maybe), it was likely growing inside his body too, damaging internal organs. If it was just fins he would not have died so quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….