• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello & What can you recommend for me?

t.doyle

Hello all,

I have never seen this forum and was delighted when I stumbled across it! So first off... Hello, my name is Tom. I have been keeping fish for about 10 years with experience in African predators, Breeding dwarf snakeheads, Marines and lots of different freshwater communities. In the past I have always been more interested in soft water aquariums and only ever owned one 'tap-water' aquarium. I work part time in the aquatic trade and like to give sound advice to beginners looking to join this marvellous hobby! Marines has taken over my life over the last two years but now I study for University, money doesn't stretch as far as it did before. So Marines are out and I'm back in the game for Freshwater!

The reason I'm here today is I understand that some real Apistogramma lurk this site and want some sound advice and would like some recommendations for my new tank. The tank;

Juwel Rio 180
Eheim Ecco pro 200 external filter
Peat and sand substrate
Moderately/Heavily planted with easier plants (eg. Microsorum pteropus)No CO2

I am aiming for a tank that everyone in the house can enjoy looking at it as much as I can. So I want the water to be crystal clear but still keeping it very soft with a low pH. I understand that the majority of Apistogramma sp prefer tannin stained water (which I used to have to do with my snakehead breeding) but also know that some species will be quite happy in crystal water and sometimes prefer it. I am unsure of exact species, however, and would love for you guys to point out some to me!

What would you recommend for me?

Thanks, and I promise other posts I make won't be as leggy...

dwarflover

Hmm. What I would do, is find a very flashing apisto. Some are more colorful than otheres. Orange Flash and Cockatoos are very colorful. Also agassizii are very cool.

Good choice on apistos, by the way. They are my very favorites.

As for the tank, include some sort of cave. Apistos are cave spawners, so if you have a pair they will need a cave. You could use a flowerpot, coconut shell, rocks, etc.

Plants are up to you and your light. How much light is there?

So easy plants I know could be bacopa, anachrias, java fern, java moss (or any moss, great for when there is fry!) sowrds, cryps, and many more.

Good luck!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
With over 300 apisto species/forms out there, you have many from which to choose. Tannin stained water is not necessary for most except for breeding some blackwater species.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….