• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from UK Portsmouth

Melissa7715

Hello everyone, I've dabbled in apistogrammas in the past but unfortunately my tank crashed and I unfortunately lost them all.
I've recently got back into them and have a pair?? Of macmasteri if possible can anyone sex them please?
The male constantly chases said 'female'
I went and bought more juvenile 'females' but they seem more interested in sizing each other up by swimming vertically and one particularly shimmers/shakes their body to the other one I've included some pictures of the male and potential females ? Thankyou for reading ❤️

Attachments

• PXL_20230130_155704778.jpg
    PXL_20230130_155704778.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20230130_155238373.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230130_155238373.MP.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 91
  • PXL_20230130_160104329.jpg
    PXL_20230130_160104329.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Can anyone help me please
I'll be honest I'm struggling. The yellow fish, with the black ventral fin edges, definitely looks like a female and probably Apistogramma macmasteri, after that I can't really offer anything else for the other photos.

cheers Darrel

Melissa7715

Hi all,

I'll be honest I'm struggling. The yellow fish, with the black ventral fin edges, definitely looks like a female and probably Apistogramma macmasteri, after that I can't really offer anything else for the other photos.

cheers Darrel
Thankyou for your help I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately was sold it as a male no wonder anything isn't happening.
Thankyou again

Melissa7715

Pictures are not sufficient. We also need fish sizes. The first one could be either a young male or female.
My apologies I'm new to all this and didn't know what was required .
The first two pictures are two fish I bought at the same time and are about 2cm in length and had them for approximately a year.
The last picture is a new juvenile I bought and is only about a 1cm or slightly less.
The brightly colored one I was sold as male and was chasing the other fish (2nd picture).
I appreciate your help and time.
Many thanks Melissa

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At 1cm/0.4" the new fish is still a juvenile and not 100% sexable. I don't like to say it but the year-old fish should be much longer than 2cm/<1" by now. Are you sure that they truly are close to this size?

Eddy. E.

On picture 1 and 2 I recognize a female in each case. Picture 3 makes on me rather the impression, as if we have to do it with a not yet full colored male.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….