• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Singapore

mun1984

Hi all! I've been a large fish guy for most of the time. Keeping stingrays and discus currently. However somehow managed to convince the wife that the home needs a 1.5 ft tank to be complete! Empty now, and very keen to keep apistos! Joining everyone here for research and hope to get my 1st pair in the very near future!

mun1984

Sure! I have a pair of p14, 10 discus, 10 yellow tailed congo tetras, a juvenile ghost knife fish, and 4 small plecos in a 6ft tank with 5ft sump in a cabinet.

I did this combo of fish after seeing a tank full of wild discus with stingrays. However, in hindsight I probably would not recommend it. Stingrays eat like pigs and discus take their time. I do find that I at times have to over feed the fish to ensure that all the discus have eaten well. Lost a few of the more timid and shy individuals as they simply were not eating enough. The stingrays cannot actually kill the discus, but you'll have lost scales and some lost fins on them from time to time. One of my discus actually lost an eye because the stingray ulcerated it's eye quite badly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 293

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Are Potamotrygon Rays all right in a tank without a sand substrate?

I've only ever seen them in the pond in the Princess of Wales Conservatory at Kew Gardens (it has a viewing window), where they seem to spend most of their time either buried or "blowing" the sand.

london-kew093big.jpg

cheers Darrel

mun1984

Yes Darrel, they do very well without substrate and I know a lot of people who successfully bred them in bare tanks/ponds. My stingrays actually do the burying behavior even without substrate. I plan to do some enrichment for them by throwing a mini Kong toy stuffed with seafood

boofeng

Hello I'm from Singapore too and just signed up after lurking for ages.

I'm pretty new to apistos, and currently keep A. trifasciata, A. bitaeniata 'Tefe', and a dwarf Crenicichla from Venezuela (not sure about species, looks like what Glaser sells as C. cf regani 'Orinoco').

Mun, if you would like to try your hand at raising some trifasciata fry/juves I've got some month-old ones eating baby brine shrimp and grindal worms to rehome. They're in a 90x40x40 cm colony tank and the parents don't have good spawns when the tank is crowded, so I pass the fry/juveniles to people who are willing to put in the effort to grow them out. Their water parameters are pretty close to tapwater - pH around 7, TDS 200-250, a little on the cold side for Singapore because it's 'outdoors' (in a HDB flat corridor).

I'm in Hougang - we can arrange something. nine435 zero130

Cheers :)

mun1984

Hello I'm from Singapore too and just signed up after lurking for ages.

I'm pretty new to apistos, and currently keep A. trifasciata, A. bitaeniata 'Tefe', and a dwarf Crenicichla from Venezuela (not sure about species, looks like what Glaser sells as C. cf regani 'Orinoco').

Mun, if you would like to try your hand at raising some trifasciata fry/juves I've got some month-old ones eating baby brine shrimp and grindal worms to rehome. They're in a 90x40x40 cm colony tank and the parents don't have good spawns when the tank is crowded, so I pass the fry/juveniles to people who are willing to put in the effort to grow them out. Their water parameters are pretty close to tapwater - pH around 7, TDS 200-250, a little on the cold side for Singapore because it's 'outdoors' (in a HDB flat corridor).

I'm in Hougang - we can arrange something. nine435 zero130

Cheers :)

Hi Boofeng! Thank you for the generous offer! However I haven't got a spare tank for the juvenile trifasciata, although it would have been a wise choice to get experienced with them! However please feel free to keep in touch! :) I'm located in Clementi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….