• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Have Mercy On Me

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Ok, at the current moment (March 27th, 2005), the tank has been cycling for 3 days now. I have added plants and here is its (start) of Aquascaping. Mind you, I need another bag of gravel to fill in the back deeper so I can place in more plants and still need to change the 18W PC to 10,000K!

Apistotank4.jpg

And here is a small pic of the plants seen in this "START" picture;

PlantMap.jpg

(1) Cryptocoryne willisi x.lucens
(2) Stargrass (still in the process of planting more)
(3) Cardinal Flower (nice GREEN LEAVES and grown from Seeds)
(4) Cryptocoryne lingua (quite rare)
(5) Limnophlla aromatica

Still wish to fill in the back with another fast growing, dense plant. Considering either "DWARF SAG" and "Hygrophila siamesis" or "DWARF SAG" and "Dwarf Ambulia". Will be another another stalk or 2 of L.aromatica when they mature in my grow out tank.

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Sad, that I am responding to my own posts.

The stocking has changed (dither fish) have been added into the fray;

2 X Apistogramma borelli (Male and Female)
3 X Otocinclus vittatus
5 X Neon Tetra

The Neon Tetra seem a more vaild candiate than the Pencilfish option, as I can get a little more and the Tetras will definately school together.

And of course Malaysian trumpet snails for substrate aeration. Also, adding in more plants (adding Water Sprite and "Banana Plant") into the fray to help with Nutrient absorbtion and overall algae competition.

Gary
BTW:Ghost Shrimp will be added but to serve as FOOD (for the Apistos) as much as Janitorial duties.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
I've added some Beckford's Pencilfish (2) for now, increasing the school to 5 for Dither fish. These guys are also pretty much my "tank cyclers" at the current moment. Still hunting an elusive 18W Power Compact 10,000K bulb, its almost like trying to find treasure!

I will have some updated pictures for the weekend. I have added some Giant Hygrophila (these came with the 2 Pencilfish) and plan to move them when I purchase the plants I wish to have in the background.

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
My 10,000K, 18W bulb will be arriving this week. I have finally found APISTOGRAMMA! I have a Male Apistogramma (will create an "Please ID Me Post") in the tank. The tank in which it was in, was dominated by larger fish. I figured this was a "Rescue" mission.

Here is a tank update;

Apistotank5.jpg

And here are the plants;

PlantMap2.jpg

(1) Cryptocoryne willisi x.lucens
(2) Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia)
(3) Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
(4) Cryptocoryne lingua
(5) Limnophllia aromatica
(6) Cryptocoryne wendtii (BRONZE)

In the near future (this week), I will be moving ALL Stargrass to the back, and adding more Cardinal Flower to the front of the tank. Also I will be attaching my Dwarf Anubias (Anubias barteri var.nana) to the wood.

In the top picture, a small piece of "Java Moss 'Erect'" has found its way to the underside of the wood. It is my hopes that it remains there, attaches and grows. I am also considering some Ricca to cover the piece of wood.

The Fluval 1+ will be replaced in the future with an Eheim 2206 "Aquaball" with a Co2 modification for tank purposes. Currently dosing the tank every 3 days with Flourish w/Potassium.

10% Water changes each week. Temperature at 25C or 77F

Gary

aspen

5 Year Member
looks good gary. i used an old style fluval 1 for quite a long time on a 35 gal planted and it was quite ok for the fish i had in there. (tetras apistos etc.) have you got the co2 running yet?

rick

Crazygar

5 Year Member
At the current moment, no Co2 injection what so ever. I picked up a Hagen PlantGRO system (store going out of business) for $20 so that I can use the reactor, ingredients and tubing to hook into my Eheim 2206 (I ordered this today from Big Al's) Aquaball when I get it.

The Diffuser that comes with the Hagen Co2 systems are just too big and awkward for such a small tank. I want to look in and see plants and fish, not a giant diffuser. Besides, as it being a small tank, space is limited.

Gary

aspen

5 Year Member
that's the ladder style diffuser right? i bought that thing on it's own, and if you set the flow of the fluval across the ladder just right, about 2/3's from the bottom, and the right distance away, you'll find the bubbles will shrink to nothing before they climb to the top of the ladder, completely dissolving them. it is not a bad product, although you don't really need the bottle and tubing, but for 20 buck you did ok. if the plants are pearling, avoid any ripple on the surface, the plants will produce lots of o2 for the fish. i hid it in the back behind a thick bunch of stem plants.

you can do better on your own for the yeast/sugar mixture though. get it running asap, you'll be glad you did.

rick

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Funny enough, I am keeping everything but the diffuser. The Eheim 2206 Aquaball (check it out, neato little toy) has a built in diffuser inside the filter. All you do is PLUG in your Co2 line and it does the rest. You can not beat that!

The reason I went with the Hagen PlantGRO as it looks a little more "professional" on my countertop (will be hiding it with plants) that a 2L Pop Bottle (I'd have to go out and buy some Pop and pretty much just pour the CRAP down the drain).

Thats an interesting use of a Fluval1+ on a ladder though. Everyone has such neato ideas eh!

Gary

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
I have a truly horrible feeling about this: these fish require much more room than you might have at first imagined. Your calculations while appearing 'sound', actually require to be re-examined in a different light, if I may say so, so politely,

Nick

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Blackshark667766; firstly, I was born in Motherwell and lived in Overtown until I was 7. Still a UK Citizen

Secondly, I am only keeping "Shark" as the sole Apisto in the tank. Any more is cruel and definately a death sentence for one of them.

Besides the Female Guppy (will be removed after she offloads her babies) all the other fish will serve as excellent "Dithers". I plan, after the removal of the Female Guppy to aquire either 1 or 2 more Pencilfish to complete the effect.

While, on the other hand, wonder if "Shark" really needs those Dithers. He seems pretty "sure" of his surroundings and is not afraid to show himself. He already likes to come to the front when I peer in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Frankly I can resist placing a female (I have found them and just going crazy right now) or 2 into the tank as well. Now when I restart my 35...

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
--April 8th, 2005

My Eheim 2206 has arrived! I am "priming" it in my 55GAL community tank right now! I picked up a Hagen PlantGRO system for $20 (gotta love going out of business sales) and have modified it for Co2 injection into the Eheim (Check Valve, shortened the tubing distance).

Working on my DIY Bubble Counter to "inform" me when I am low on Co2.

"Shark" is an F0! Or for those whom have no idea what an F0 is (I did not know either until last night) -- Wild Caught. Generation 0. So if I manage to find Females (I have found 2, but do not have the room) and they have fry, the fry will become F1's (Generation 1 Tank Raised).

I've also introduced my Otocinclus (2) into the tank to start with Janitorial and some Malaysian Trumpet Snails that are churning up the sand in a great way!

Gary

--April 13th, 2005

Crap! Crap! After all the work on modifying my Hagen PlantGRO system (Check Valve and custom Bubble Counter), it seems that my choice for internal filtration is not working.

In fact, the Eheim 2206 Aquaball is more bulkier than the Fluval 1+! Not only that, even with the flow rate down to its minimum level, the tank seems to be a swirling vortex of death. The current is wicked strong compared to the Fluval 1+ which I had originally in there. Here are my views on both the filters. I might consider, an external canister (Fluval 103 or 104) instead.

Fluval 1+ Internal Filter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
PRO: Kept the tank nice and clean. Water output will nice enough to give me some aeration and movement in the tank without creating strong currents. Ease of maintenance coupled with ease of sponge access are excellent.
CON: Extremely long and would either touch my substrate (vertically) or blocked out a large portion of light when place horizontally! This is my main beef with the filter. Its design in which only 2 positions can be achieved.

Eheim Aquaball 2206 Internal Filter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
PRO: Its unique design enables me to easily inject Co2 into the main "filtration" assembly for "diffusing" before being sent out into the water. Also the ease of adjust the nozzle direction (almost a complete 360) allows complete ease of positioning ANYWHERE in your tank. Maintenance features are nice everything comes apart just as easy as it takes to rebuild
CON: HUGE! Makes my Fluval 1+ seem like a stick! The water output at its lowest level creates MAJOR current in my small tank. Says on the box rated for tanks 12GAL or below. I would not trust this in a tank below 20GAL! Just to powerful of a current for anything smaller than 20!

I feel that EXTERNAL is the way to go. Will be looking into this option in the next weeks. This means that the Eheim 2206 will be going in my 35GAL when I restart! This would be perfect for it.

Truth be told, after hearing all the good about Eheim products, I am totally disappointed. This "small" filter will be capable of handing my bioload in my 35GAL tank!! The current is literally perfect for 20GAL long mountain stream tank!

I will provide a picture of the tank with the Aquaball installed. I do not like it! Either way, my Cryptocoryne willisi x.lucens is being deprived of precious light. Having pretty much exhausted my efforts, I plan to go external and just totally forget about "internal" filtration. This means more modifying of the hood!

--April 14th, 2005

WOW! My wife did not appriciate the "buzzing" sound that the Eheim 2206 Aquaball creates when running (must be really loud in the tank) or the powerful current it creates in the tank. Therefore, it has been removed and placed into my 35GAL which it will become the "primary" filtration unit. And the current it creates it the 35GAL is wicked enough that I have to "lower it"!!!!

I returned my Fluval 1+ to the tank and placed it in a VERTICAL position at the corner of the tank. Also the Co2 modifications have pretty much been deemed useless. I have broke down and put the "ladder" into the tank as well. Oh well, when I photograph it I will remove all the equipment and return it when done. I've managed to hide the ladder behind the Stargrass.

I need the Co2 in the tank as I can see fine filiments of algae growing on the sides of the tank. I also have to "fish out" my final Otocinclus in the 55GAL to keep his buddy company and algae in check.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
-- April 17th, 2005

The Aquaball has been removed and the Fluval is back (in a vertical orientation). Also the Co2 ladder thingy (I really do hate this thing) is in the tank and the Co2 is going! The pH right now is around 5.8 and seems to have "slowed" down.

I added some "Blackwater Extract" (5mL per water change weekly) to help with things. But I have done something evil -- I killed my poor Otocinclus on contact!

I decided to pick up some AquaFina (RO Bottled Water) from the local Grocery Store. My wife has a habit of forgetting to get me some (pure RO Water) from her lab so I went out and bought this product.

What I did not read was the "ingredients" side of the bottle. As I was pouring it in, my Otocinclus swam into the stream and INSTANTLY went stiff twirling around in the current until he hit the bottom.

And fishing out his recently dead carcass I decided to see what the hell I did that could have killed the guy.... OZONE! Each bottle of Aquafina has Ozone (o3) which would have killed ANY other fish on contact. How dumb is that? I used 4 Bottles (to replenish water removed) to refill the tank!

My Apisto(s) (I think I have a female, could not resist), Pencilfish are all safe. I moved the "Female Guppy" out to my pond with the other Guppies (2 Males, 4 Females) I picked up $1.32CAN today!

--April 18th, 2005

Ok, now I think I have to work on another fish removal. It seems that "Shark" has shown great dissatifiscation on the other "A.gibbiceps" in the tank with him. To make matters worse, I do believe that I indeed (with whole hearted interest on breeding) picked up a "SNEAKER MALE" (An Apistogramma that mimicks a female colouration and patterns when encroaching on another Male's Territory) and therefore "Sparkle" is really "Elton" (eheh).

I did though, manage to pick up some Hydrocotyle verticillata today and its a lovely little bush of green. I also added some Cryptocoryne wendtti "Tropica" to the tank as well. My game plan is to make it 90% planted while using the fish as secondary features.

I also have dropped my photoperiod down from 12hrs of light to just 10hrs at 26W, rather than my "Morning/Day/Dusk" regimin. I can post the "morning/dusk" look with just the straight 8W if anyone is interested.

This is to help my algae battle that I have now. Also, picking up some Otocinclus (3) to "get moving" on the algae. Considering on placing an order for "Otocinclus cocoma" or "Zebra Otocinclus".

It seems that "Sparkle" (my daughter again) is truly an "Elton". Thanks to Mike Wise for ID'ing yet another one of my pestering questions, I have a solid ID for him. I will be moving him to another tank as of Tomorrow. I might even return him to the LFS.

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Well, during my attempts to introduce 3 Otocinclus, it seems that I have not "siliconed" my piece of wood quite well. In fact, it popped right off.

Now I have to sand down the bottom and do it right. I admit it was done rather quickly to get the tank going (we've all been there -- right?) and now (as usual) I am going back to fix some boo-boos.

This will also give me the chance to attach some "Anubias barteri var.nana" (which I wanted to do in the first place) and Christmas Moss when it arrives (being mailed in from Iowa).

I have a bit of a problem with "long threadlike Green Algae" I am hoping that my Otocinclus will start working for me. If not, I will have to displace 2 of my 9 Amano Shrimp (really not sure on that) into the tank to help combat the problem I am having right now.

Green Spot Algae is also appearing. Darn, this is the worse one to get on an arylic tank. Going to take a bit of "Elbow Grease" to get things working again. This is the reasoning behind the lack of current pictures (I have one with the Eheim 2206).

I have secured an infinate supply of RO Water whenever I want. I might start doing water changes (5%) every 2 days until the Algae goes down. I am doing my weekly water change (ALWAYS Saturday) tomorrow and replacing with pure RO Water (not AquaFina from a bottle). I usually do about 30%

"Elton" (name has stuck) is proving more of a challenge to catch than anticpiated. Will keep working at trying to "rescue" him from the tank. I might have a couple of leads on Female Apistogramma gibbiceps. If that is the case then the following is going to happen;

(1) The 53GAL "ColombiaTope" is going to have a "FALSE" start. Rather than keeping most of my plants (Crypts and some rare ones) in buckets, I plan to use the "ColombiaTope" tank as a temp home for them.

(2) Both Apistos will be placed into the tank (53GAL).

(3) My pair of American Flag Fish will be housed in the 6GAL. This way, I can accomplish a few things at once;
(i) They are nice and colourful
(ii) They are peaceful
(iii) They are great consumers of Algae
(iv) Its my hopes that they will breed

So, as usual, dilemas and disruptions are bound to happen, and for me, its more frequently.

Gary

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Gary, if your are having trouble catching a fish in a planted tank you might this little trick. Take a plastic soda bottle (about 16 oz.) and cut the top of right about were the shoulder meets the body of the bottle. Invert the piece that you just cut off and push it into the bottle so it looks like there is a funnel in the bottle. Place some irrestible food in the bottle and sink it in you tank, make sure the bottle is clean and soda residue free. Mr. apisto can easily swim in since the funnel shape points him to the opening. Once he is in it is not as easy for him to get out. Once he goes in, you can reach into the tank and remove the trap but if you give him to much time inside, he will find his way out eventually. This is similar to the design of minnow traps some fisherman use to catch bait. I have only tried this once and it made it very easy to remove a bunch of juvenile cacatoides from a planted 29 gal. I got this idea from a really good article I read once, I just can't remember were it is to link to it. Hope this helps a bit.
Trevor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….