• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hardy apistos

Hey! I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for hardy apistos, but some more uncommon species, I plan on setting up a 20 gallon long for a pair, the tankmates will be a school of some kind of tetra or pencilfish

MacZ

If I understand correctly they mean a hardy apisto that is not commonly found.

I have no idea. What species I consider hardy are also commonly found in the trade, as think the commonly available ones are commonly availabe because they are hardy. (and with overbreeding this is taking full circle back to finnicky).

Yeah I meant a hardy apisto that’s not commonly found, maybe I’ll do a wild pair or a pair with wild type colors, still trying to pick a species

MacZ

Depending on where you live this might be hard to solve.

Here (Europe) you would have to look for wild forms of A. hongsloi, A. borellii or A. macmasteri.
A. cacatuoides and A. agassizii are already almost only found as domestic strains in the trade.

Wild does not automatically mean hardy. Quite the opposite if you pick a species that likes it really soft and acidic. Wild type might be hard to find also, especially when many wild forms of are misidentified as rarer species.

So... look what's even available to you and if you see something that catches your eye find out what it is. And please do not pull the trigger on any fish you cannot ID.

Depending on where you live this might be hard to solve.

Here (Europe) you would have to look for wild forms of A. hongsloi, A. borellii or A. macmasteri.
A. cacatuoides and A. agassizii are already almost only found as domestic strains in the trade.

Wild does not automatically mean hardy. Quite the opposite if you pick a species that likes it really soft and acidic. Wild type might be hard to find also, especially when many wild forms of are misidentified as rarer species.

So... look what's even available to you and if you see something that catches your eye find out what it is. And please do not pull the trigger on any fish you cannot ID.
Gotcha, thanks!

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
If you’re in the US, here are a few I know you could get, and should be easy to keep:

- cacatuoides wild form (most people only keep the color strains)
- borellii Bella Union (F5+, illegal to collect wilds now)
- alacrina
- D37

Starting in the spring, you can also just see what’s available and research them to see what you like.

anewbie

If you go to a site like aquaticclarity.com or wetspottropicalfish.com and look at their in stock fishes they will list which are tank raised and which are wild caught.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I had a chuckle. Maybe it is only me, but I find most apistos hardy - IF (and sometimes a BIG IF) they were properly shipped, held and later quarantined by me. Once out of quarantine and in proper water conditions they seem as hardy as any fish. Of all the fish that I collected in the wild I cannot think of any that did not live long happy lives in my tanks. I think it was because they were treated correctly from the beginning.

anewbie

I had a chuckle. Maybe it is only me, but I find most apistos hardy - IF (and sometimes a BIG IF) they were properly shipped, held and later quarantined by me. Once out of quarantine and in proper water conditions they seem as hardy as any fish. Of all the fish that I collected in the wild I cannot think of any that did not live long happy lives in my tanks. I think it was because they were treated correctly from the beginning.
What is long? I find domestic cockatoo are only living a couple of years; my hongsloi are around 3 as is my female nijjensi. Can they live 10 years or is it closer to 5?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….