• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Guess me

Adoketa

5 Year Member
Dear folks, I know this seems like a bit of a joke but I'm just very excited. I'm in Taiwan now and went to a wholesaler's place. In a tank, I saw some martini/pantalone looking fish. I asked if it was indeed either species and he said no, it was an entirely new species. In fact he had no english name for it.
Without thinking, I packed 8 pieces... and it came up to 30 USD a piece! (Please ask the price before you decide to buy something)
I'll get back to my country soon, but in the mean time, does anybody have an idea? It looks somewhat like a martini. with a slight lyrate tail but the tail has no markings.
Any guesses?

Adoketa

5 Year Member
unknown2.jpg

unknown1.jpg

unknown3.jpg

i know photos are bad, sorry!! :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree, not the best.. They look like a regani-group species. I don't see a lyre tail. It look more round to me. My guess it that these are A. sp. Steel-blue/Blue-head/Blaukopf. I could be wrong. Like you say, the photos are not very good.

Adoketa

5 Year Member
Thanks for trying, Mike. I appreciate it. Here are some "hi def" photos. :p

newww.jpg

newwwest.jpg

newnew.jpg

new.jpg

A friend of mine told me the Chinese name is "Flaming Sapphire"... but this doesn't count much as chinese have a tendency to name their apistos in really odd ways.

And i was mistaken about the lyrate tail. :) My bad. I thought i saw the beginnings of a fin extension at the tips of the caudal but apparently not.

This is supposed to be the same species taken by apistoworld.hk

a93947.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
I agree with Ruki, they have too big mouth to be regani-group species. Kelleri/Diamond Face.

Adoketa

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback, guys (and girls?)

Animalgc: they don't have the regani-type of stoutness to their outlook. I tried looking up masken in Romer's book and it doesn't look like it.

Ruki + peter: If it's kelleri, does this mean i've hit a jackpot? :biggrin:

animalmgc

5 Year Member
well it does remind me of my Masken (apache) and when you showed the pic from I believe apistoworld it seemed like it but oh well hope it is Kelleri

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think that it's Masken. Its caudal spot is more like a vertical bar. The size of the head is fairly large compared to the body, like species in the barlowi-complex. To tell the truth, I'm surprised at how different the fish look in the more recent photos. I'm still not sure what they are. If you can go to the 'sticky' at the top of the identification section and use it to add more information, we might be able to be of more help.

Ruki

5 Year Member
Probably with further identification than barlowi-complex we will have to wait for developing mature fish features of Adoketa's fishes.
Maybe it's other new species? :eek:

animalmgc

5 Year Member
yea I would agree its not Masken.I jumped to that conclusion cause of the color in the face.In fact after seeing the lips and head I would have to disclude the Reganie group all together.And as I showed the Kelleri doesn't work either

Adoketa

5 Year Member
I don't think that it's Masken. Its caudal spot is more like a vertical bar. The size of the head is fairly large compared to the body, like species in the barlowi-complex. To tell the truth, I'm surprised at how different the fish look in the more recent photos. I'm still not sure what they are. If you can go to the 'sticky' at the top of the identification section and use it to add more information, we might be able to be of more help.

Mike, I'm not sure how to add the sticky. Can anyone give me more instructions?

animalgc: yeah, the lyrate tail is missing.

Ruki: the supplier did say there's no english name to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….