• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got some new stuff

Gillie

5 Year Member
I went to my favorite fish store yesterday and got first pick of the fish fresh out of quarintine. This is what I got: 4 agassizi , 3 cacatuoides, 1 pr inka, 1 pr nijsseni, 3 bitaeniata, 3 eremnopyge and 6 more taeniacara. I also bought 6 oddballs, I don't know what they are yet but I think that I may have a pair of pulchra. On top of that I had to buy more 4 more filters, heaters and ended up with three huge handfulls of water lettuce on an impulse buy. This is what happens when you walk into a store and are immediatly handed a net a container a handfull of bags and told to go nuts.

Gillie

5 Year Member
Sorry Ted I mislead you a bit, it's actually a small breeder/ distributor. Pete is a close friend of the family and for as long as I can remember my dad called his place 'The Fish Store' so it's just out of habit that I end up doing the same. Anyway he lets me pick through his shipments after he picks his breeders and before he sells off the rest.

red

5 Year Member
Lucky you.. it's quite a big deal around here when we find apistos at the local stores.

Doesn't happen often!

Gillie

5 Year Member
That wouldn't be "Pleco Pete"...Peter Derkin by any chance?

No, his name is Pete Novak. Pete Derkin's place is alot bigger( about 3xs). I haven't talked to Mr. Derkin in a while, I'll have to give him a call this week. He orders mostly from Peru and often gets the same old stuff I've been trying to talk him into some Brazilian stuff again.

Gillie

5 Year Member
That wouldn't be "Pleco Pete"...Peter Derkin by any chance?

No, his name is Pete Novak. Pete Derkin's place is alot bigger( about 3xs). I haven't talked to Mr. Derkin in a while, I'll have to give him a call this week. He orders mostly from Peru and often gets the same old stuff I've been trying to talk him into some Brazilian stuff again.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good to know Phil, thanks. I was wondering because Peter Durkin goes to the Chicago swap meets and I'd love to get a few of the apistos you picked up if they could be brought there in early Feburary. Oh well.

Jeff

Gillie

5 Year Member
Good to know Phil, thanks. I was wondering because Peter Durkin goes to the Chicago swap meets and I'd love to get a few of the apistos you picked up if they could be brought there in early Feburary. Oh well.

Jeff

I have no idea who either of the guys order their fish from, but I'm fairly sure that Pete Derkin orders twice a year and he has to have at least a few species that I picked up. Send me a pm with what you would like and I'll talk to him and find out what he has and if he does have some of them let him know that you could pick them up at auction. That is if he doesn't already have plans to auction them off. If so you may have to fend for yourself.

Gillie

5 Year Member
Hey Ted, here's a list of apistos from a couple different stores that I regularly buy from: atahualpa, rubrolineata, xingu red lobes, steindachneri, agassizi, cacatuoides, panduro, hongsloi, macmasteri, viejita gold, rio mamore, borellii, inka, bitaeniata and pebas morado. All of these are available just about all year which makes metro detroit a very lucky place.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….