• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gobiocichla ethelwynae

Neil

I am considering getting some of these guys, but know very little about them and can find no info on them to speak of. Does anyone know if they are sexually dimorphic at all. They are fairly expensive, and if I can just get a pair rather than a group, I would definitely do it. Randall is working on this one for me, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out to all of you.

Thanks,
Neil

Neil

Iguess that I should have done what i always tell everyone else to do and run a search on this forum (probably the best place to get info on a fish like this). What a suprise, 5 listings came up.

Sam wrote:
Gobiocichla ethelwynnae! They look crazy, like someone dyed a wonderi yellow, stretched it out, and then went over it with a rolling pin. The male is 4 inches long, but about a third of an inch wide and a sixth of an inch tall! the female is , of course, shorter and stockier. The pattern on their back makes them blend in with the pebbles when seen from above, but viewed from the side, they are yellow with a black lateral stripe and red edging on the fins. They are now in a forty with Danio devario and a pair of Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi. They are feeding well on frozen bloodworms and live glassworm. They are wild caught, and were only sixty five dollars for the pair. Now I have two of my "holy grail fish" (Lamprologus congoensis and Gobiocichla spp.), all thats left is Teleogramma depressum!

Sam,
Was there any other notable differences in the sexes? And how are you doing with them?

Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Gobiocichla ethelwynnae Sexual Dimorphism

To the forum:

Not having any experience with Gobiocichla ethelwynnae, I reached out to someone who does. Dr. Lamboj advises that this species exhibits low levels of sexual dimorphism. Males grow larger than females, are more elongated and exhibit more developed dorsal and anal fins. Ripe females exhibit a slightly swollen belly. Dr. Lamboj stresses, however, that the differences between the sexes can be hard to see.

Unlike congener Gobiocichla wonderi, G. ethelwynnae has never been spawned in captivity.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Sam

5 Year Member
G ethelwynnae

Yes, they are fairly sexually dimorphic. The male is longer, and his back is wider. The female is shorter, and her belly is larger, in typical westie fashion. One of my lfss often recieves shipments from reheboth aquatics and I picked up this pair. In my limited experience, the males are usually the larger ones, and fairly easy to distinguish. I have found this species to be very hardy, and they will eat pellet and flake food most of the time. I am certain that I have a pair, and hope to spawn them soon. I hope that this helps.

Neil

Yes, thank you Sam (and Randall!). Unfortunately, Toyin does sound as sure of it as you do. I might take a shot at them anyway.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….