• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glass ledges in aquarium

damoUK

5 Year Member
I've just upgraded my aquarium from a 125l to a 215l, and the new one has glass ledges about 3 inches below the top of the tank about 1.5 inches wide, front and back - what on earth are they for? Is there a practical use? I have couple of ideas:
  • Water line indicator (seems a bit extreme given that a printed/stuck on line would do)
  • For hanging things from - what?
  • Just to strengthen the glass
  • or something I haven't even considered!!??
Does anyone have any clue?

gerald

5 Year Member
Does it look like it was made that way, or did you get it used and somebody added the ledges later?
A few Guesses:
1) Support for a screen or light canopy;
2) Barrier to reduce fish jumping (but then why is it only on 2 sides, not all 4?);
3) and my favorite theory: Spawning ledge for splashing tetras and loaches!

damoUK

5 Year Member
It's a brand new tank. You can see what I mean in this image (just behind the outlet pipe being put into the tank in the picture)
timthumb.php

gerald

5 Year Member
Since the ledge is just slightly below that cut-out notch (another odd feature I have not seen before), maybe the ledge helps reduce sloshing if the tank gets bumped or when moving things around, so less water sloshes out of the notch. Maybe the manufacturer's website explains it ... but speculating is more fun.

MickeM

5 Year Member
It looks like the "plastic-construction" is either glued to the glass , or hanging on it..
So for the buyer to have the option to add some glass -"cover-slips" (if needed/wanted), the manufacturer has decided to add these "glazing beads"(?) I guess.. (Attached to the plastic..???)
And they are often needed since the long time evaporation either create humidity-problems+algae/fungus above the surface inside.., or/and destroys the lightning-system quite often..(100% of the times if you ask me..) even though promised isolation + function.....

To sum it up... Most ready-to-start tank-set-ups available on the market are made by "trendy" designers , often strictly with profit in their mind...
with no knowledge about Aquariums/Tanks in process as it seems..
But it sure looks nice when there is no water in it!!:D:D

My advise is to get the cover-slips + not to keep any heater at maximum + maintaining low speed at any filter..
at least if you are gonna keep it a "tropical planted tank"!!
(Many times a 1st time Aquarist get a way to "stormy" tank, producing fishes in constant "current-battles" .. and also aerating the tank so no plants
thrives + humidity " beneath the lids" sabotages the whole idea of having a nice experience with our hobby!!! Believe me.. I have seen the results several times when being asked for advice in exactly these cases...)

Since you are not a first time tank-owner , you probably know how to do this in a nice way !!
And...it is always nice to have a larger tank than before!!! :):););)

MickeM

5 Year Member
Maybe your tank is not in any danger to my critisism regarding humidity (since you have got the circular opening at the backside...)
But, I bet you will certainly have some problems when you get in the tank for redecorating, netting fishes or else...
(Both lid construction+ glass ledges making it hard to "scape" without removing the complete lightning-device!!??)

Good luck anyway!!:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….