• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

German Blue Rams laid eggs! What now?

gobigorgohome

So my German Blue Rams laid eggs. How long till they should hatch? If they do what do I feed the babies? How long till I separate them from the parents? Any advice is appreciated thanks!

sasikan

it usually takes about 6 days until they are free swimming if they are in a tank with lots of floating plants the baby s will find some food in there (i feed micro worms the first couple of days) then brine shrimps keep the temp about 80f, you will need soft water or else the eggs will not hatch.mine are raised away from the parents so i don't know how long to keep them in here with the parents.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Eggs will hatch within 48hrs. In my case, usually around 40+hrs at 82F. From then, it will be another 5 days before they become free swimmers. I feed my fry paramecia for the first 2 days follow by newly hatched artemia. Fry typically can be separated from the parents after two weeks. By that time, the parents are ready to spawn again. It maybe easier to separate the parents since typical spawn size is in the 200+. With proper diet and water change, fry will reach 1" size in 3 to 3.5 months.

309701_2071693591044_1206021231_31853316_228254860_n.jpg

208825_1020410909634_1206021231_30057003_2930_n.jpg

wethumbs

5 Year Member
The differentce is in the size of the 1st food during the critical two days after free swimming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….