• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on several factors. I the female isn't driving the fry away they can live with her for several months. If, on the other hand, the female is interested in breeding again the fry should be removed. Also that the breeding tank is large enough to handle all of the fry without stunting their growth. I personally prefer to keep the fry in the breeding tank, if it is large enough, until they are large enough to be removed with a net - about ½"/12cm.

deliriouz

As mike said but only to add that I find that I get higher number of fry when I remove the cave with the eggs and hatch them artificially. Way more work tho then getting the mum to do the job.

Also I find that the fry that stay with mum have higher growth rates that hand reared ones...maybe to do with the smaller numbers?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Also I find that the fry that stay with mum have higher growth rates that hand reared ones...maybe to do with the smaller numbers?

It's not numbers; it's behavior. Mothers are there for a purpose. They protect the fry from preditors. They use their yellow/black markings to signal danger and safety. Without her signals, fry tend to stay on the bottom and not move around much. They feed less and grow slower.

boofeng

It's not numbers; it's behavior. Mothers are there for a purpose. They protect the fry from preditors. They use their yellow/black markings to signal danger and safety. Without her signals, fry tend to stay on the bottom and not move around much. They feed less and grow slower.
This is so cool. I had no idea the colours signalled anything. Any recommended reading to understand this more thoroughly?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Koslowski (2002) has a detailed chapter on ethology of apistos based on long duration videos of breeding apistos. It's in German. The classic case study is: Burchard, J. E. 1965. Family structure in the dwarf cichlid Apistogramma trifasciata Eigenmann and Kennedy. Z. Tierpsychol. 24: 204-209. This paper is in English.

boofeng

Thanks, Mike. :) Tried searching for Burchard on Google Scholar and it's behind a paywall. So much for the age of (low quality) information! (If anyone can email me a copy, purely for educational purposes, I would be most grateful.)

I did see a copy of Cichlid Atlas Vol 2 at a local library though and can't wait to get my hands on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….