• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Transition Fry To Dry Food

xSparkleZ

Wondering when fellow breeders transition fry to dry foods?
Also, what process do you follow?

Seems previous posts varied.

Looking to see if the practice has changed over the years.

anewbie

Mine will usually take dry food after 4 weeks; but they grow faster if you keep feeding them live food - not sure if there is a difference from a health perspective if the dry food is very high quality. I mostly use fluval bug bites (they have a flake now).

xSparkleZ

Mine will usually take dry food after 4 weeks; but they grow faster if you keep feeding them live food - not sure if there is a difference from a health perspective if the dry food is very high quality. I mostly use fluval bug bites (they have a flake now).
Do you use the starve method?
Interested in learning other ways to transition them.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When you decide to add dry food, add it together with bbs for a week or 2 until you're sure that they're eating it. I don't recommend transitioning completely to dry. Starving is not good for young fish, but can be used on adults to get them used to eating dry foods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….