• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry Predator For P. taeniatus 'Moliwe' Tank

Racine Vice

I am looking for a fry predator or predators for my 15 gallon Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' breeding tank. Any thoughts or ideas? What do you do when your dwarf cichlids produce more fry than you might like?

Scott

bettamuse

5 Year Member
I find leaving the fry in a the breeding tank a bit too long, water changing and triggering the parents to spawn again and ' hay presto ' all the previous fry just disappear.

But personally I would just give a friend a bunch of the fry to raise.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
A small Synodontis sp. catfish (or a few of the really small ones) should work. Hopefully something nice will be available on the next Zaire order. I'll also check with my Cameroon sources.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Muggsy is my 'cull fish'. It is an Electric Catfish, now 16" long and close to 10 years old. Of course I don't keep it in a community tank, but any fish fry I don't want joins his tank. Very efficient, isn't picky about food or water conditions, and not particularly active either.

Racine Vice

Thanks for the replies. My female solved the problem. I put the male back into the tank with her and she almost instantly slaughtered him...very upsetting. I know my tank is a little small, but they had been fine up until now. I am going to try to get another wild male for her, and rethink my introduction process or even housing.

I wish I had room for a monster culling fish. It would make things a lot easier. My culling fish is a little 4" Crenicichla regani 'Tapajos' which is only good for fry under an inch.

I try to give them away or sell them, but sometimes the sex ratios can be pretty lopsided.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My Moliwe have pretty good sex ratios, but I do mix tap and R/O to soften the water a bit. If you are having problems with an overly aggressive female, I suggest putting a new male AND a few female P. pulcher in at the same time. That will give the Moliwe female something else to worry about, and a common 'enemy' for the new pair to team up against.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….