• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food for 45 days fry - techinique to introduce dry food?

javoski

5 Year Member
I have 40+ cacatuoides 45 days old fry. Two of them begun to show red lines in their dorsal fin.
They´re eating recently hatched bbs ... and begun to not show interest in microworm anymore.

The real problem is that they refuse to eat dry food. I left them without food for a day (my bs´s eggs was over) and even then they refuse to eat dry food. I tried to mimic the way I give bbs to them, using a squirt .... and they simply refuse.

Do you have any techinique to introduce dry food?
What else do you give for your 2 month fry?

cheers

Mizu

5 Year Member
do you soak the food first? if you do then try to get a different brand of dry food. My adult agassizi always refused to eat flakes or anything that didn't look natural. Their fries accepted dry food from the start. Maybe a mix of different food would excite their hunger. My mix is crushed freeze dry bloodworms, tetra's basix and sometimes crushed freeze dry brine shrimps. Hope it helps

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
After about 4 weeks I start using decapsulated brine shrimp eggs (faster than hatching bbs and I can store about a weeks worth in the fridge)

After that I use NLS growth crumbles. They sink and the apisto seem to adapt well after getting the decaps off the bottom or as they fall.

I have some older growouts in with some other fish that get flakes, I feed the flakes first and the apistos will go after them till I add their crumbles.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
I mix in livebearer fry with any cichlid fry that're reluctant to eat prepared foods. Gets them going in a day or so.

Then again, I introduce prepared foods into their diet from week 2 onwards. Most fry quickly learn to eat whatever's on the tip of my finger :D

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I just drop the dry food into the filter outlet so it moves and then they eat it with gusto. If that fails, in the past I've put some older fish in that are taking dry foods and once they see them eating it the others usually join in.

I find to start them off very small dry food granules works very well, they don't seem to be picky at all.

C

cherryred

mixing

I've had real good luck starting a few weeks into feeding brine shrimp mixing a little fine crushed flake food in with the shrimp they are just eating and slowly they all seem to come around to the flake as i cut back on the amount of shrimp. good luck.

javoski

5 Year Member
one of these days, they ate some sera mikropan.
but I am not in shortage of bs eggs now :)

neverthless I am feeling more confident that they will adapt to dry food. Yesterday (monday) I gave adult bs for them. To the little ones, it´s not a meal, it´s a fight against the bigger shrimps :)

Will look to buy a white worm culture also. I burned my last one feeding neons (in another tank).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….