• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

flower pot cave entrance size?

Neil Groves

I am going to use an upturned flower pot as a cave for spawning, How big should the hole be in the side of the flower pot so as to let the adult fish in to lay eggs but hopefully keep other bottom dwellers out?

Neil.

deaver

5 Year Member
How does the male fertilize the eggs? I've always seen the male enter the cave.

deaver

5 Year Member
Thanks Darrel, good link too. Do u have much experience breeding panduro. I have a trio in a 10ga for while I wait for a pair to form. So far very slow. Male chases both females who are showing breeding colors but has yet to choose one. I've tried mirror therapy, water changes, lowering water. There are a few sites to breed, loads of almond leaves, even a spawning mop. Nothing yet. So far their picky eaters too. Not fuzzy on nls pellets, I've been supplementing with white worms. So the food may be the issue but they are young and I've been trying to get them converted to pellets. Any case, not trying to hijack the tread, but......I did a little . sorry

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Worst case scenario: male doesn't find either female acceptable and females can't escape his territory - the entire 10 gallon tank. End result: 1 male and 2 dead females. Hopefully it won't happen. Apistos aren't fond of dry prepared foods. Try frozen foods if not able to use live foods.

deaver

5 Year Member
Don't be such a pessimist, lol. I converted a cacatuoides both wild and domestic,,plus gephyra, macmasteri and agassizii, figured panduro would make the switch. But perhaps not, tried frozen blood worms and brineshrimp, absolutely refused these multiple times. I'll slowly get them over. I also got from your comment that u feel a 10 is too small, what would u recommend as the minimum?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. panduro is a 'moderately difficult' species to breed, due to being a mixed clear-/blackwater species. Ideally keep them in water ~pH 6.0 and moderately soft water. Feed well, mostly live/frozen foods. Also realize that not every male is compatible with every female. It's best to get 3 of each sex and let them decide who is compatible with whom. Then sell off the ones you don't want. Buying just a pair is always a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

deaver

5 Year Member
Thank you, no breeding yet. Moved the male and the female that seemed most flirty to a 15ga with heavy leaf litter. They are now eating pellets with white worms at night. Very rare species in my parts so getting more will be a waiting game

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….