• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Flow and Apistos?

Rasmusm

5 Year Member
Hey all

Pretty new to apistogrammas, not sure what kind I want yet, but I have a 20gal/72l hightech planted tank with an eheim 2075 (1250l/h) and a koralia nano 900l/h. Is that to much for this kind of cichlid?

Wanted 1 male and 2 females I think.

Let me know what you think

Regards from Denmark
/Rasmus

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
A lot of flow is OK, if you have plenty of structure to diffuse it. I'm not a CO2 user, but my suspicion would be that if you aim for really high flow around the tank to evenly distribute the CO2, that the flow will be higher than the fish will appreciate, and the tank more open.

I only keep planted tanks (very heavily planted ones), but I'm a definite CO2 agnostic. It does make you plants grow more quickly (assuming that light and nutrients aren't limiting), and allows you to grow Hemianthus "Cuba" etc. but it offers the risk of asphyxiating your fish.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
This is my tank atm, I do know how to grow the plants without algaes..
Lovely tank, put in some caves (with moss) in and it should be fine for Apistogramma, although sand would be a better substrate, and I would still wait a while before adding any Apistogrammas.

I actually looked at the tank on UKAPS earlier today <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/72l-planted-high-tech-tank.25108/#post-258111>.

Have a look here for A. hippolytae details <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/apistogramma-hyppolyte.13511/#post-73391> & here for some general details for Apistogramma keeping <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>

How do you get on with Hygrophila pinnatifida?

cheers Darrel

Rasmusm

5 Year Member
Hi Darrel

Yea your name was familiar to me hehe prolly from ukaps.
The hygrophilla is doing okay, slow growing and it likes alot of light.

Thanks for the links, will read em when I get home, and not on my phone :)

Just curious, hhy would you wait with the apistogrammas?
Tank has been running for a month now and still doing 3x water changes a week

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….