• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fish in Canada

jvanrompu

5 Year Member
Hi I am new to this list, most of the US web sites for Apistos will not ship to Canada. This is to all the CDN's on this list, I would like to get some Apisto. Cac. Orange Flame, are there any available in Canada or in the Buffalo area that I can pick up or have shipped. Also looking for hongsloi?

Thanks

John

Discus Man

5 Year Member
Apisto Cacatoides

My LFS That Aquarium Place had Cacatoides Orange variants and I think they have one male left. They get soem in every month or so.
ITs on Guelph Line in Burlington, Ontario.
I do nto know if Orange Flame is a specific variant but they were very orange if that is the main desire.
HTH

Z Man

5 Year Member
If you are ever in the Niagara Falls area, there is a store in North Nonawanda, NY (15 min from the Falls). The Fish Place, 141 Robinson St., N. Tonawanda, NY. Phone (716) 693-4411. They have over 300 display tanks and always have some Apistogramma species. I can't give species names because most fish don't remain there very long. They get shipments four days a week. Plan to spend a good long time there. They do sell a few items on Aquabid (when it gets back on line!) as "Lotsoffish" and can be reached through their plant site http://www.flosflora.com Tell them the Z-Man sent you!

Neil

jvanrompu,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Keep your eyes on this post. We seem to have quite a few Canadian fishkeepers in our midst. You might get more good leads.
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
big al's in mississauga is getting a big shipment in the next week or 2, from (of all places) the czech republic. a few different types, i doubt they are getting in hongsloi though.

rick

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
hi,

if you are in montreal area , we finally convince one or two petshop, order some dwarfs.
we show them the market and of course the possibility met $$$ do the rest :)

and yes we have all the same prob with getting good stuff in canda :?
Jason

Peter Lovett

5 Year Member
I would just like to say that it is not much better here in the UK either.

All i can say is keep looking and one day you never know.

I am now lucky enough to be in contact with a importer of fish from peru so I now have access to some great fish.

I picked up today a trio of wild A. cacatuoides trio of wild A. agassizii which are both in great condition and 10 A. juruensis which are in not so greater condition.

It only took me 15 years of looking so good luck.

jvr

5 Year Member
Thanks to all

Thanks for all the info - I have been to services in Mississauga, they only sporadically have apisto's, some times only males. I did see a batch of wild imports made up of several unknown species at least to them, they were wild from columbia ?- I could identify one small male which may have been diplotaenia ( forgive the spelling) only no females.
They did have Nijsseni, I got 2 pair, they had 3 males of a single red cac.

I have also been to N. Tonawanda to the Fish Place - I have an issue buying fish there, usually you have to buy 5-6 to hopefully get a pair since they sell most of their Apistos unsexable, you may get lucky and get 2 or 3 pair that way or one pair, I have wound up with only males and the next time I went back a few months later I could not get the same species.

And last but not least I found one chap who will ship to Canada, I will let you know how it turns out.

I can not figure out why it is so difficult for US fish keepers to ship up here, I have gotten fish from CA, within 2 days using the postoffice, I have gotten fish airport to airport from Florida in 4 hours. Why is there such a reluctance to ship. I have shipped over 100 pairs of fish to the US with not so much as a problem or a dead fish. There are no restrictions for fish entering Canada as long as they are not on cites lists.

Or is that you guys are just so fearful that once those fish hit our pristine CDN water that we would out breed you?

Thanks

John

Neil

jvr,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

John,
I have ordered fish from Oliver Lucanus in Canada and it was necessary to hire a broker to pass the fish through Fish and Wildlife customs. I assumed that it worked the same the opposite direction - one would need a import/export liscence or hire someone that has one. I have a relationship with the mail delivery services where I am at, so maybe I will inquire about this.
That water up there is pretty threatening 8O , but we're no hosers (I think that the proper Canadian term) down here :lol: and can breed with the best of 'um. I have been approached alot of times by fishkeepers in Canada about buying fish and I usually just refer them to Oliver. Maybe it isn't that difficult to bridge the border.
Neil

Ron

5 Year Member
Aquarium Depot in Brampton usually has quite a few varieties and gets regular shipments in as well. That is where I get most of mine and have had no problems. Their shipments come from Germany..if that matters.
They are at steeles/torbram.

jvr

5 Year Member
Hi Rick,

First check his hours - I have heard quite a few complaints of people showing up there when he is supposed to be open, to be in front of a closed door.

I have been in there several times and he does have some apisto's, he had viettje red- nice fish( I bought some). He now has some cacautoides 3x red, he should have 6 pair since I brought him females for his tank full of only males. His avg for a pair of apisto is $20/pr.

Most of his apistos are small and hard to sex, they come from Germany and I have noticed that he gets quite a few of one sex or another. I have seen tanks of only males quite often. He tries to sex them and later your 2 pair turn into 4 males. The pictures and names on the tanks do not match the fish sometimes. He has Bitaeniata on one tank but the fish are not. He has Hongsloi but only males as far as I could tell.

Use due diligence when you buy there. He does have a nice selection of african soft water dwarfs, at $40 per pair, he won't butch on price on these.
All the above prices are in CDN $.

Good Luck,

John

Ron

5 Year Member
John's right about the hours, especially during the week.
Your best bet is on the weekend.

I've come across no problems on the sex issue on my purchases, but the tank mislabelling seems to be more not getting around to changing the names when they are re-stocked. The tank that is/was labelled Bitaeniata once held them, because I bought a pair awhile back. When I went in there last weekend, the original picture hadn't been removed off the tank. But, I'm sure he'd correct a novice who asked for Bitaeniata when he knows the tank has another species in it.

...jvr, do you have anymore females for sale?

aspen

5 Year Member
thanks for that, i paid him a visit on saturday (called first- thanks for the head's up). his name is 'd', and seems a real fish guy. he assured me that there were female bitaeniata in that tank, and at that age they seemed quite a bit like my 'female'. when i've had mine for a while, then maybe i'll have a better idea. (ie, his 'females' looked like big al's 'females'.)

i didn't buy any fish, i was looking for nice aggie's (all gone) and borelli's (also none left.) but i gave him my phone number, he is getting another shipment in from germany in 3 weeks, and he assured me he will call me when he gets them in. i'll post then. i wanted to know if he had the viejita's shown in the pic on the tank, and he told me to wait till he had the other order coming in, they were likely going to be much better. i thought that was really nice- i like honesty. i did buy a couple of things. he has a few good lines, including ocean nutrition which i like and seachem. and yes, the tanks were marked wrong, the ones he had were gone, but i think he likes to let his customers what COULD have, even when he doesn't have them.

all in all, a nice store for apistos, and i will go back.

thanks, rick

fredmir

5 Year Member
Apisto in Montreal

Hi to the list and to my Canadian fish breeders

I just found out about this list today

I been breeding Apisto for over 5 years now.

I always have different Apisto for sale and can get as well

I`m one of the biggest Apisto breeder in Montreal

My are all sexable and properly ID as well

The Apisto I sell are medium size,but also sell un sexed small Apisto,if a person wishes that

Sorry I don`t ship

For more info I can be reached at
[email protected]

George

fredmir

5 Year Member
Fishes in Canada

Hi Neil

I have over 50 tanks,mostly for Apisto

So far I have bred

A.agassizi Rio Tefe
A.agassizi Flame
A.agassizi Double Red
A.agassizi Alenequer Blue/Yellow
A.Borellii,Blue
A.cacatuoides Orange Flash
A.cacatuoides Triple Red
A.Elizabethae
A.Eunotus
A.norberti
A.hongsloi
A.Nijsseni
A.panduro

Maybe a few more I can`t think of now

I also blue German Blue Rams

I have bred some West African as well

Happy New Year

George

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….