• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Finally got Apisto's..................but.....

R

richiej1979

well I am not confident the LFS shop sold me a proper pairing! I know I have a male and female but I was told they are Apistogramma Macmasteri.

The female is yellow and smaller and the male is larger with a nice looking tail, its ok I will get pictures up soon. I got my first fish (6 neon tetra's) on saturday and they haven't stopped fighting (one died) and I was told that putting a bigger fish in would stop them fighting. So I went out and got my Apisto's and made a mistake because they are in my water which is ph8 and a little hard.

I am going to get some RO water tonight and do a 50% water change. Would this be the way to go ???

Thanks !!!

beleg

5 Year Member
I had a school of 10+ neons which "ate" each other infront of 2 pairs of adult angels.. There is only one remaining now and its being used as dither fish for my A. agassizii pair.

My water conditions are similar to ours pH being slightly lower (7.5-7.8) and plan to do water changes with R/O water at pH 5.7 hardness 3.5.. However i plan on changing the water in smaller quantities (%25) every other day or once in 3 days. I am no expert in water chemistry but i dont want to disturb the fish too much by altering pH.

I'd appreciate input too..

Thx

R

richiej1979

I had a school of 10+ neons which "ate" each other infront of 2 pairs of adult angels.. There is only one remaining now and its being used as dither fish for my A. agassizii pair.

My water conditions are similar to ours pH being slightly lower (7.5-7.8) and plan to do water changes with R/O water at pH 5.7 hardness 3.5.. However i plan on changing the water in smaller quantities (%25) every other day or once in 3 days. I am no expert in water chemistry but i dont want to disturb the fish too much by altering pH.

I'd appreciate input too..

Thx

Your probably right, maybe I will do the same as I don't want to disturb the fish too much. I am just really worried that they will die and frightened everytime I look at the tank. I hope they will be ok!!!

beleg

5 Year Member
Well my agassizis have been in the pH which was even higher a few days ago (up to 8) for almost 3 weeks. In this period they even tried to breed. I dont think a few days is a problem.

R

richiej1979

Well my agassizis have been in the pH which was even higher a few days ago (up to 8) for almost 3 weeks. In this period they even tried to breed. I dont think a few days is a problem.

Well my tank has loads of dead plant bits at the bottom of the tank, I got some small cherry shrimp which are doing a great job of cleaning it! - hopefully if I change the water 2 times a week it will be alot cleaner!

beleg

5 Year Member
Sorry for hijacking the thread but since my problem is similar i would appreciate suggestions as well..

Yesterday i changed %30 of the water with bottled R/O water with pH of 6.68 , dH of 1.3 (From Coca-Cola company). The tanks pH stabilized at 7.4 before the lights went of and became 7.2 in the morning. However when i came back from office the pH was 7.9 back to its original value before the change.

Whats your suggestions to reduce pH and keep it at that levels? Keep changing %30 or make bigger (%50-70) changes..?

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
i would suggest a small box filter or something like that stuffed with peat. you need something to buffer the pH, or it will probably keep swinging

beleg

5 Year Member
Yeah. Started filtering the tank with sera granule peat. Will see if that helps. Will make another %30 water change with pH 6.6 water again tomorrrow.

beleg

5 Year Member
The fish laid eggs again. The pH is still high (7.46 when i left home at 11:30 which is 1:30 hrs of light time for the tank). I was planning a water chage for tomorrow.. Is this still a good idea?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….