• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Filter Switch

mf3011

5 Year Member
I am going to be setting up a new filtration system in my 10 gallon blackwater tank and putting the current sponge filter into a different tank. My question is, since the blackwater tank that the spong filter was in probably had (and maybe still has) a fish with an internal worm problem, is there a period of time that I could leave the sponge filter out of its new tank to make sure I don't pass the worms on to the new tank? Or is this just a bad idea all together? Basically, how long should I leave the sponge filter out to dry before any remaining worms and eggs that could be on it would die? Thanks in advance!

Mike

georgedv

5 Year Member
I would not take any chances. I would sterilize the sponge before introducing it to another tank. Since you are not trying to keep the colonies in the spomge boil it carefully.

g

mf3011

5 Year Member
Thanks!

Thank you for the reply. I will boil it just to make completely sure. My only question then is, do I have anything to worry about with boiling that filter? Should I remove the plastic tube from the top and just boil the base and the sponge? It is a basic ATI 10-gallon sponge filter. Thanks again!

Mike

georgedv

5 Year Member
Remember you are heating it not cooking it. However, you are right. You need to be careful with the material...especially the sponge. What I do is get the water very hot...not boiling and slowly test the material in the hot water. It is just as good to keep the items in the water longer but not have the water boil. Also remember not to keep the pot on the fire once you intro the items in the pot of water.

good luck
g

georgedv

5 Year Member
OOps I forgot...I just notice your filters are ATI. I have never tried sterilizing ATI filters in hot water. Actually they are kind of new to me. I suggest to only use hot water and wash well the weight part of the filter. Most of mine have cracked and I have not done anything to them. AS for the rest...test a corner in the hot water. If I get to sterilizing any of mine these few weeks...I will let you know what my results are.

g

mf3011

5 Year Member
Ok

Thanks again, that makes sense. I have taken the filter out and left it in a bag with some wood I took out of the same tank. I think I will boil the wood and carefully rinse the filter in hot water, testing it like you said. Thanks for your time and help! And do let me know how it goes for you if you get the chance.

Mike

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You could put the hard plastic parts of your ATI filter in a bleach solution (1 part bleach to 10 parts water) for a few hours. This will sterilize the parts. Just rinse well afterwards in water with an extra heavy dose of dechlorinator.

mf3011

5 Year Member
Thank you both for the help! I think I will just boil the driftwood I want to use and dip the sponge filter in (minus the plastic tube) after it stops boiling, since I am a little wary of using bleach haha. Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help and information I have received since becoming a member of this site!

Mike

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….