• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female? Male? A new problem...

Jekoz

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
i'm here again with a new question! :confused:
I returned to the store the cacatuoides female who they sold me as viejita...do u remember my last 3ad?

The store have ordered for me directly from a Dutch breeder a new "Viejita Female"......the following picture is what i have now in my tank:

First day
Viejita05.jpg

First day
Viejita03.jpg

Today...after 6 days
Viejita07.jpg

Another seller/breeder mistake? Do u think is this a MALE? Of which species?
Please help me again to identify what i've bought!!! :frown:

Btw, this is an updated picture of the Viejita/Macmasteri "old" male who live in my tank:
Viejita06.jpg

The size of this exemplar are "twice" of the last arrived

Thaks in advance to all!!! :biggrin:

exotic_idiot

5 Year Member
The 3rd pic looks like Viejita Female..
Brighter yellow dressing compare to the 1st two pics you provided.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The problem with these highly colored stains of A. macmasteri (not A. viejita) is that females often show colors never seen on wild females. Personally it looks like a young male to me, but I don't have much experience with domestic color strains. How does it behave toward your male? Females usually will show a submissive gesture (curved body) when it meets a male. Young males normally just run.

Jekoz

5 Year Member
First of all thanks very much for the reply! :biggrin:

The behavior of the "old" male at the arrival of the "new fish" was: Run quickly ahead the "new fish"...place the body on one side and....perform a great VIBRATION!!

After this behavior the "new fish"....just run away.....no submissive gesture!!!!

After one week the two apistogramma sometimes swim together around the "world" :wink:...

At this point is really possible that i've 2 MALE in my tank....damn! :mad:

In the next days i'll observe carefully the situation....

But actually, in this situation....what's the best thing i can do?

1)Just observe...sit and wait
2)Return the suspect "male" to the seller
3)Keep the "suspect male" and at the same time try to buy another REAL viejita/macmasteri female

Bye...and thaks to all again!!!

PS: Sorry for my "English retarded" :wink:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The male was performing a breeding display to the new fish. If the male allows the other fish to swim with it, then my guess is that it is a female.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….