• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Apistogramma Maturity

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Have what could be A. cf. gephyra Santarém/Curuá or A. sp. aff.agassizii "Belem" and have been spawning them now for about 3 mouths and although I have had lots of fry the survival rate is very poor to almost nun. So I was very surprised today to see I have two females with broods.

The second female is tiny less than an inch long and can be only just 3 months old. One other thing I have noticed is that the brood size is quite large (The young females most have 70 to 90 fry) but the fry are tiny smaller than any other apistogramma I have seen. But they grow very quickly.

Is this normal for the agassizii complex

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
I also forgot to mention that my original female seems to spawn every to weeks and think that may be why the fry mortality is quite high and I think she is eating the older fry.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Peter Lovett1 said:
I also forgot to mention that my original female seems to spawn every to weeks and think that may be why the fry mortality is quite high and I think she is eating the older fry.

That could be the reason. By the way, may i know the parameters of your tank's water? ^.^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….