• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female apisto wont eat and has turned pale

matt

5 Year Member
Hi

I have a female apistogramma agassizi which has been fine, recently it has become very pale and now spends its time at the surface. Due to this I placed it in a seperate area so that it needn't worry about other fish etc and so that I could ensure it was eating. Its colour came back and then it was fine again so I released it back in with the other fish. A few days later the same behaviour has returned except now it doesn't really want to eat either.

Has anyone else experienced this? All the other fish are fine and the male apisto looks very healthy.

Any ideas appreciated,

thanks

Matt

Chris S

5 Year Member
It seems likely that the male is hounding her, and she can't escape.

What size tank are they in and does she have "escape" routes?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Chris. I appears to be an aggression problem. Make sure your female has someplace where she can hide and the male can't get to her. I use pieces of floating black plastic pipe in tanks like this. The picked on fish has someplace away from the aggressor to hide. I, too, would be interested in you tank and how it's set up. You may be able to change a few things around and make life less stressful for you and your fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….