• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding new Cacatuoides fry/

G

Gary W.

Hi Everyone

I just started keeping fish after a 25 yr. absence from this great hobby.
I use breed fish long ago. danios/tetras/kribs/ and of course a few guppies
I got very good at breeding Kribs. Recently i got my girlfriend interested in this great hobby. To make a long story short ....I discovered Apisto's.
and Apistogramma.com. By the way thank you ..Neil & Z man . After 3
weeks in a ten gal. tank , i got babies!!! Peat water plus very soft tap
water (3dGH) and a ph of 7 got the results.
But what to feed them? just got back in this evening and saw female out with her brood. I just stared a brew of tank water and old clean wilted lettuce to get some infusoria. What should i feed them until the culture is ready?
Thanks for any help....Gary w. (tank is well planted)

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hello

Just start to hatch some artemia, and you can start to feed within 2 days.
The frys will start to eat as soon they are freeswimming. And during the first two-three days they can survive on the infusorias in the tank.
But start to feed with artemia as soon as possible! I don´t know about any other alternative. All apistofrys I have got, have been eating artemia from the first day of freeswimming.

Good luck and best regards!

G

Gary W.

Feeding new cacat. fry

Thanks guys for tip about BBS
I thought BBS would be too big for these little guys. I guess i need to learn
a lot more about these little Apisto's
Anyway thanks for the tip, will start some bbs this morning after a quick trip to LFS.

thanks again
Gary W.

Neil

Gary W.,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I agree. You will have the best success feeding BBS. As a matter of fact, I don't think that you should even bother with the infusoria. By the time the culture is ready, they will be eating larger foods (if they are already free swimming). Until your BBS is ready, take some flake food an grind it into a fine powder. Mix it with some tank water and squirt it into the cloud of fry (if you have a pipette). You can feed this 2 or 3 times in the next day or so and then go to the newly hatched artemia. Make sure that you don't put too much in the tank. You want to keep your water quality up as much as you want to get them adequate nutrition.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Neil

G

Gary W.

Feeding new Caca.fry

Hi Everyone

My new caca fry are doing well. I took the advice about the bbs.

two days of feeding and they seem to be doing well, just started

another batch.

just removed my two very small Habrosus Cory's. Geez!! mom's a real

terror...... Must admit, I was quite alarmed . male gulped up about 3 fry ,

ohhh no!!! but he carried them back to mom and spit them out with the

rest of the fry.

Well i need some more advice , thank you... as in Rams... 10 g tank 7 ph

3d hardness right of my tap(lucky me} Rams prd.off by themselves.

Think i got a shot with these two?

thank you all .... what a great bunch of people and forum ...... Gary W.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….