• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

exact ID

Pictus

5 Year Member
Hello Forum,
I purchased this little fellow as A. sp. cristal from Peru.
I would really apreciate if somebody could tell me the exact ID or ensure that this is the undescribed species as it was sold.
First picture shows him when he was younger in clear water, the other ones show him in his current condition in black water.
IMG_5101.JPG
IMG_5522.JPG
IMG_5537.JPG
IMG_5542.JPG

Thank you!
greets

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is definitely not the species originally sold as A. sp. Cristal. The original species, which I keep and breed, is related to A. luelingi. I call it A. cf. luelingi (Cristal). Your fish looks like A. urteagai. Both species occur near Puerto Maldonado in Peru. It looks like someone mixed them up.

Pictus

5 Year Member
Hey Mike,
They were sold als wild catched.
When I ordered them I expected the luelingi sp. cristal you mentioned.
I can say, that the seller is one of the biggest and most reliable I know.
The seller also offered the luelingi cristal some time ago.
He receives his fishes directly from Glaser and I think Glaser should be able to identity correctly.
What do you think?
Is it possible that I have an A. sp. urteagai here?
I remember, that this species was on The stocklist too when I ordered them.
Greets

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Major difference is the shape of the caudal spot/patch. On A. urteagai there is a single oval caudal spot separated from vertical Bar 7, which is rather prominent. On A. commbrae the caudal spot and part of Bar 7 join to form a large caudal patch. That and the very different abdominal markings - horizontal stripes on commbrae, diagonal streaks on urteagai - are diagnostic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….