• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Effects of ions like Ca and Mg etc. on skeletal developement

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Hello,

Does anyone know any scientific study about the correlation between Apistogramma skeletal development and conductivity/TDS of water or specificly the calcium-ion content?
Or any such study of fish that naturally found in waters that have similar ion/conductivity related parameters to the natural water parameters for most Apistogramma spp.?

Or even information on how frequent there was any skeletal development problems with the fry of “big” breeders, when they kept using only RO water/rain water/low conductivity water?

I personally didn’t have any problems with the skeletal developement of Apistogramma, Copella or Betta fry when I only used RO water, but there are many Discus breeders who experience spine deformations when they don’t raise the conductivity of the grow-out tanks, so I wonder if I and some/many other breders are just lucky because we provide something(?) that prevents those deformations or if Apistogramma and some other genuses are adapted to develop in lower ion contents than fish such as discus.

I have not seen any studies about any species, so I mostly would like to see some, but even a bit more “breeder experience” could be helpful.

Thanks,

gerald

5 Year Member
Most of the scientific studies are on food-fish farming (trout, salmon, catfish, milkfish, tilapia, Lates, etc) and all of these grow faster and are more disease-resistant in moderately hard, ion-rich water. Pacu is the only fish I can think of that comes from mainly soft-water habitats and is farmed large-scale as a food fish. There might be info on optimal water parameters for pacu production in the aquaculture literature. But as Mike says, I suspect most soft-water fish rely primarily on diet for their minerals, rather than cellular uptake from the water. Let us know what you find - i'm interested.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….