• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

EBR general talk

Christople

I know the water they need and have provided it but I want to know about the following things: how do I sex them, what to feed the fry, what would be a good alternitive to slate...[need to save money] Thanks for your help

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are just a commercial strain of the Orinoco Ram (M. ramirezi). What works for other strains, works for EBR. Sexing can be difficult since almost all of the diagnostic features are missing. You best bet is to go to a breeder and pick a slightly larger and slightly smaller species, but not necessarily the largest and smallest. If the fish are from the same spawn and raised in the same tank, you have a good chance of getting one of each sex. Males will have slightly higher anterior dorsal spines and females will have a rosy belly on older, mature fish, but it is unlikely that you'll find (or want) such older fish. Truthfully, you would be better off if you bought 6 specimens and put them in a large tank to pair off.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Young fish are almost impossible to sex accurately. Older fish are like the wild type of the genus, and the males are larger-bodied and more robust. I have also noticed that the dominant males' foreheads are a rusty color while the females are blue.

One of the best spawning sites for rams is the drainage dish from a flower pot. They seem to like that the flat surface is in a somewhat protected depression.

Christople

okay but I cant spend 90 dollars on fish one because the money and two I only have a forty gallon... my lfs recieves them barely mature with my normal rams but I'm not sure about the EBRs because never thought I'd buy them... thought wrong. and if you are wondering I don't have an angel in the tank and my rams killed each other. And I don't have neons in there either.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
The rosy belly is a sure sign of a female for GBR and GR, however I found this lacking in EBR. Chuck Rambo had suggested using a flashlight to look for iridescent spots (around the black spot) on the female body. I had tried using this method till the fish went 'blind' or maybe I gone blind and still could not be certain. Anyway, I found the EBR males generally have longer anterior dorsal ray while females do not. Steve Lundblad used the body shape to distingish the gender. The longer and more slender ones are males while the shorter and taller ones are females. I still believe a pic is worth a thousand words. Here are a few 'thousand words' and NO, you may not use my pictures.

male on the right and female on the left
229187_1766618484357_1206021231_31541290_846841_n.jpg

there is no mistakening which one is the female
229187_1766618604360_1206021231_31541293_6511477_n.jpg

a different female
229187_1766618644361_1206021231_31541294_2054438_n.jpg

a different male
230352_1766620564409_1206021231_31541295_4529623_n.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Body shape is an excellent way to determine sex - if the fish are full grown. On young fish (as usually sold), it is sometimes not easy to see the difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scapesce

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….