• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Easiest way to get rid of algae

drudnick

5 Year Member
I am dealing with a planted tank for the 1st time really.

I am now dealing with a cloudy green tank. I dealt with this in the past in a different tank, and I was never really able to rid myself of it until I just completely emptied it and started over...

I have been keeping the lights out alittle more than normal, and got some of that Phos X stuff to put in the filter, but are there any other or better tricks to ridding a tank of this ugliness. worst part about it, my Inkas are close to spawning, and I wont be able to see anything when they do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
green water

If you are dealing with green water as it sounds, a UV sterilizer will clear it right up. However if you do not manage to correct the cause it may well come back.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Removing phosphate won't get rid of your algae. The studies done on algae were based on marine algae in situations without higher plants which doesn't replicate a freshwater planted tank at all. Algae as a basic organism thrives on changing situations and especially tiny quanitities of ammonia. What you want are stable conditions with enough light, current and nutrients for your plants to thrive.

The best way to get rid of algae IME is to make sure your plants are growing well, up the water changes and I would cut the light down to only 8 hours a day too, or maybe further while you battle the green water.

Also make sure you are giving your plants both macro and micro fertilisers and, most importantly, CO2. Without adequate levels of these plants will actually release small amounts of ammonia triggering algae rather than using up the nutrients!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Check your Nitrate levels. They should be under 40ppm. If not work on it. Check the Nitrate level of your water change replacement water as well...tap water, R.O. water, etc.

One of the best ways to kill off green water is completely darkening the tank for 2-3 days-sometimes longer. The higher plants can handle this but green water quickly runs out of avaliable energy and dies off.

Jeff

drudnick

5 Year Member
No sunlight, but when I started using live plants, I changed the lighting to a stringer light. So I am thinking that may be playing a part as well

goodtimz78

5 Year Member
cutting down the light and avoiding direct sunlight will help reduce the algae, but the true cause of a bloom is the amount of available nutrients in the water. the higher order plants (the ones you want) use the nutrients nicely, but the micro-organisms (algae) are better, so until your plants get established with lush new growth and good root systems, you need to limit the available nutrients. the way i do this is by performing 20-25% water changes at least twice a week and sometimes every other day. also add some hornwort, cabomba, or java moss as these fast growers will help to filter the water while slower growers get established (these can be removed after the bloom clears). also, after an initial dose of fertilizer, i don't add any more for at least a month when i set up a new tank. hope this helps

TwoFishGuyz

5 Year Member
144 Lemon Plecos

I had an algae problem too, in a planted 65 gallon. Since the tank is heavily planted, I leave the lights on for 10-12 hrs a day.

As a result, I ended up with lots of green algae on the grass and plants. I added 2 - L 144 lemon plecos and in a matter of a month or so, I have no visible algae on the glass or plants.

These plecos are small and are peaceful. I have them in a tank with 5 Stendker discus and some Bolivian rams. They are pretty shy, but they really do the job with algae.

I have had similar success with zebra otos and even snails. I always try to exhaust the natural remedies before I break out the chemicals.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….