• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf ID

Houndog

5 Year Member
I found these fish in a LFS in a tank with Dicrossus ? (checkerboard). The store was not aware what either species was, I bought some of the Dicrossus but I am interested in what type of fish this is, it's only 3/4 to 1 inch long.
sd300img11068ft.jpg

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi,

Have you bought this fish and have opportunity to observe it little longer?

I am asking cause I have got 2 similiar looking juveniles and I can't see some markings that seems to distinguish my Apistogramma sp "question mark" (at least for me) . I am talking about white spots located on whole caudual fin and anal fin to be redish all the time. The same spots are appearing on dorsal fin but appearance on caudal fin is more distinctive.
Unfortunetally I do not know who they are. I have some guesses but I do not have enough experience in id-ing to present them now.

These fish come as by-catch with dicrossus filamentosus too.

I know that this picture and my description is not enough base for proper ID but will be nice to read what is Mike opinion reg them. Even if there will be only guessing. So please Mike it seems that there is your turn now :)

Greetings from Poland

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hard to say what it is. It does belong to the pertensis-group, however. Considering where Dicrossus filamentosus (correct spelling) occurs, it could be any number of species. The abdominal rows of spots suggest that it could be the 4-stripe Apisto, A. velifera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….