• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dwarf crenicichla wallaceii

sitra88

i recently purchachsed five crenichicla wallaceii and placed them in a 29 gallon tank. I never realized how agressive they were until i found four of them dead. Now what i am wondering is did the surviving pike kill the other four. I moved him to another tank so he didnt get picked on by the apistos but come to find out he is the agressor. He killed my agassizi and one of my iniridae by ramming them in there side.
IMG_2122.jpg

sitra88

Crenicichla are evil==look at their faces and the big teeth...

lol.. well these are dwarfs and the males dont bigger than 4-5 inches and felaes are like 2-3 inches. Its funny there so mean yet i just got three more. But i moved them to a tank with some baby bass. They seem to be acting fine now but i assume its because the bass can kick their butts. :biggrin:

sitra88

yeah your right the 29 was to confined for them they each need their own space. I was hoping that they would pair up but unfortunately they didn't. I had a male left from the last batch and today i got another male and two females. I ma hoping that it works out this time around. If not its a learning experience.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
lol.. well these are dwarfs ...

Yes, they are dwarfs - for Pike cichlids, but not for what is considered a 'dwarf cichlid'. The ASG had a definition for dwarf cichlids: A dwarf cichlid is a small cichlid that does not exceed 4"/10cm in standard length and is suitable to be kept in a community of small fishes without damage to other members of the community tank and plantings (outside of breeding). Under this definition, dwarf pikes and Ivanacara species would be considered 'small cichlids'.

... I am hoping that it works out this time around. If not, it's a learning experience.

Yes, a very expensive learning experience.

sasikan

wow those are big Adoketa (what are you feeding them) i was reading about them in the cichlid atlas which mentioned they max out at 8 to 10 centimeters. 10 centimeters is 4 inches are you sure they are 5 inches? i always wanted some but i did not think they got so big

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Cr. wallacii (correct spelling) aren't the most aggressive dwarf pikes (ala Cr. compressiceps or Cr. 'Inridia dwarf') but they are not as mellow as say Cr. regani either.

There are (at least) 3 different species coming out of Colombia listed as 'Wallacei' ... Cr. wallacii, Cr. sp. 'orinico dwarf', and Cr. sp. 'Inirida dwarf'.

Based on the female in the upper left there, I'd say yours were indeed Cr. wallacii (her dorsal seems to be orange rimmed instead of red, and I don't see the bar across it like you would have in the two undescribed dwarves).

They are scrappy but fun fish, though as you can tell by my handle I might be a bit biased. Mine left the dwarf acaras (L. dorsigera) alone in a 40 breeder tank, but were scrappy towards each other (no deaths or even split fins, heavily driftwooded). Other than Cr. regani, most of the dwarf pikes should be in an at least 4' tank as Mr. Wise suggested due to their conspecific aggression.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….