• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

driftwood

HiImSean

5 Year Member
i'd like to add more driftwood to my tank but prices from stores and vendors are high for just some wood. is there safe wood i could go out and collect? anything i should do before putting it in tank besides boiling it? dropping the pH a bit would be fine since mines around 6.4

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Sean don't know where you are, but I'm in the UK and I've never bought any wood, or had any problems with the wood I've collected.

As a good basic rule you want standing dead wood or drift wood from non-coniferous tree. Ideal is if you can find a "stag-headed" Oak, and collect the fallen/any dead you can reach wood from it. Here is a nearly dead one at Westonbirt, but you see a lot of sickly Oaks where the fields are ploughed regularly.
2869981609_ae7735c96e.jpg

The wood you want is the "heart wood", and the most rot resistant heart wood is from roots, so if you can find a wind thrown tree, you may have a source. Beech wood is a good, and you often get wind-thrown one. Heart wood is also heavy so it sinks more easily. I've used Robinia lately a lot (often naturally hollow), all the variety Robinia pseudoacacia "Frisia" are dying at the moment. I've also used Apple and Alder, successfully and I have some very solid bits I collected from a felled wood on Bodmin moor which may be Douglas Fir (an exception amongst the conifers).

Drift wood is a good source, if you get it from the sea you need to soak it for a long time to make sure the salt is out. If it comes from fresh water you need to know it is not a heavily polluted source (Trout streams are a pretty safe bet).

cheers Darrel

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi Sean,

Same i never buy, but collect. I collect drift wood off the beach, i go to the fresh water rivers and collect tree roots from dead fallen trees etc. It is fun.
All I do is soak in water for 5-6 days and add the normal water conditioner.
have fun and make an adventure out of it.
cheers jk :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….