• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Double Red Varients

Hassles

5 Year Member
Earlier this year I was fortunate to source a pair of A. cacatouides double reds (German) which bred soon after arriving. The off-spring are simply beautiful fish. However, I then sourced another pair (also German) to match up with those I had bred so I would not be in-breeding. The new additions are vastly different to my original fish. The new comers are paler in the body and the red in their finnage is, well. looks like its been painted on. On 1 occasion, some weeks back, I stumbled upon an adult speciemn in a LFS and noted that it had a broader head and thicker lips to those I originally sourced & bred. Can anybody offer an eaboration upon the 2 distinctly different fish ?

Thanks

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I bought a trio of agassizi 'Double Red' and lost the male so ordered a new pair from a different source to replace the male. It is a markedly different coloured fish, and the female is less colourful too, but they are both agassizi and both very red fish, just in different ways. I assume they are simply different strains of Double Red and possibly you have the same in you cacs. I'm hoping mine will breed together and then the more colourful females may pass their colour on to stronger offspring.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
All of these are domestic forms, line bred to emphasize the red in the unpaired fins. Other features commonly are not selected as being important. Thus body shape & color and particularly length of the male dorsal fin lappets will vary among strains. This is why we see such variation in these features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(