• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dither Fish for Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi

xontros

5 Year Member
Hello (it's my first post here), and congratulations for all the interesting information that I've been reading for the previous months, in this forum..

I have a 60x30x30cm aquarium (Juwel Rekord 70, 30cm height is the clear water depth), relatively heavily planted (many hiding places), with a pair of Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi..

I would like to add a group of small dither fish.. In Athens, I couldn't find any nannostomus, except for the beckfordi, which I did try, but they were very aggressive, and stressed the rams.. What else would you suggest?

Please take into account that it is a display tank, in my living room, so, I would prefer a rather colourful fish.. I am thinking of a group of small tetras.. I would not mind for a percentage of the fry (in case of birth) being hunted and eaten by them, but I would like to actually manage and raise some of the fry.. Will a small school of 6 cardinals for example allow to do so, or is it unlikely? What about other species?

Finally, please take into account the relatively high temperatures, in which the rams prefer to live..

Thank you very much in advance..

bigbird

5 Year Member
Yasu,

My suggestion for a colourful dither fish is the rummy nose tetra. I have kept them with Rams and find them as a schooling fish very attractive. most tetras are fine and it is a personal choice. have fun and let us know what you buy in the end. cheer jk :biggrin:

joestreich

i would 2nd the rummynose tetra. dont be fooled by the way they appear at your LFS. When you get them home and in the right conditions, they are spectacular.....and a true schooling fish!

Joel

imichal

5 Year Member
Rummynose tetra is a schooling fish indeed...:wink:
But in an aquarium of 70 lit with a length of 60cm I dont think that you will enjoy
the "schooling" so much...:frown:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….