• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

D-I-Y Jar Filter

gerald

5 Year Member
I made this air-powered internal filter from a plastic jar (Archer Farms Peanut jar from Target), needlepoint screen, and plastic pipe. Cut the top off the jar so that the jar lid will fit inside it, drill or cut several holes in the lid, glue the lift pipe over one of the holes, cut a circle of needlepoint screen to lay on top of the lid, and cover with media of your choice (lava rock, gravel, carbon, aragonite, polyether foam, etc). I used a "Jetlifter" pipe from Swiss Tropicals, which has a nipple to attach airline, but plain PVC would work too, with airline tube inserted down inside the uplift pipe. The Jetlifter has tiny air holes that make smaller, quieter bubbles. I used "Shoe Goo" or "Goop" to glue the uplift pipe to the jar lid. This lid is polypropylene (PP-5) as indicated by the recycling code; some glues including silicone will not stick well to it. For PVC pipe, adding a coupler on the bottom will give a wider surface for the glue to bond. Filter media in this one is a mix of old Jungle brand filter carbon (USA) - no longer sold as far as I know - plus small lava rock. For non-blackwater fish I also add aragonite (crushed coral).

Attachments

• Filter Nut Jar+Jetlifter-3.jpg
    Filter Nut Jar+Jetlifter-3.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 416

OneKiwi

I have done a few myself, biomedia in the bottom, filter mat at the top for grazing.
Have mostly hamburg now.

Norman Fenske

For a quick job of cleaning the water ex. you just set up the tank and it is cloudy from the gravel sand etc. this works really well and its fast. I use a maxijet 400 power head the input fits perfectly on most 16oz or larger plastic bottles like for drinking water soda etc. I cut the bottom off and stuff it full of poly fill connect the bottle to the power head put it in the tank within an hour you can readily see the difference if I leave it overnight the next day the water is crystal clear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….