• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not successfull in hatching :(

PedrazBR

Hi mates!
First of all, sorry about my rust english, has been a while since my last english writing.

So, a few months ago, I got a mature pair of D. maculatus from my LFS for my biotope, after about 3 weeks they begin to show reproductive behavior, and don't took to long for the first eggs. I have a communitty tank (cardinal, corys, shrimp) where everything is a predator, so, the eggs don't last more than 24 hours. My first thougth was that the pair was trainning, never had breed before.

After that, it lay eggs every 2 weeks, like a clock, but none egg last. Corys eat it all, pratcally at once, then cardinals get some too. So I became to thing in incubate some eggs, and artificially raise the fry.
In the moment, I got 0 money for a new tank (even being a small tank, it's not so cheap, but I got the all the equip ineed - bomb,filter, colonized filltering midia, thermostat and hardscape materials). Thinking around "DIY system" with thing I got home, I end up with a bottle (2 litres) where I poke small holes in the water level and tied next to the filter (hang on 2000 litres/hour).
Of course, I notice that was a lame job, but the water was moving in the surface of the "hatching bottle", but I know, was not enough, clearly, the water doesnt chage as expected.
Then the eggs begin to get white (funghi, right?) and dissolve, I begin to took out white eggs and dispense the remain detritis in the bottom ou bottle. In 3 days I have no eggs and no fry.

Now, I know the lack of aeration create the white fungus problem (or at least enhace it), next tme will put a air compressor with a stone, right next to the eggs, I think it will resolve part of the issue.
Other problem was the lack of water trade, the enhace will be cut the laterals of a tupperware and silicon some fine screen (mesh?). this was be the new incubation system v 0.1, working in the same way of net tank (? http://www.tanquerederenovar.com.br/imagens/galerias/e32afa220eab0e051bff128720984356.jpg).
Thinking that the incubator is in the main community aquarium, I never think to add methylene blue, peroxyde or other things, but my blackwater is tied mostly from Terminalia (indian almond) and Tabebuia (ipê), both act like microbacteriological medicine, specialy against fungus.
In terms of alimentation, I feed my fishes a wide range of aliments, 5 types of industrialized meals (Poytara e Sera brands), fresh/live bloodworms, branchonetas, earth worms, micro worms and peanut worms. In a high frequency (ideal 1 fed every 7,5 min for tropicals, amazon basin fishs - in general) with low quantity.
My water is very very soft, and tap 7, aquarim 6.5.

A- hey, guys, I'm tripping about my ideas? I'm a right about my mistakes and how to fix?
B- I really can incubate in this style in the main aquarium?
C- Any ideia of mesh perfect size?

My main problem now, is the fungus, and how to end they in a community tank.
I'm here to hear all thinks about my problem, cause I'm already empty and kind of sad for never see the fry.

Thanks guys!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have never been very successful hatching dwarf cichlid eggs artificially. Of course it is nearly impossible in a community tank, too. Here is a suggestion you might think about. Put a partition in the tank to separate the breeding D. maculatus from your other fish. This can be made from fiberglass window screen or nylon needlepoint canvas.

Riippasaarni

There's allways possibility getting something from metal to aquarium water. Use it only if you are sure it's safe. It's really difficult to hatch dwarf cichlid eggs artificially. Is there a possibility to build female fish area where it would be easier to guard the eggs? Just a thought but if female has change to protect the eggs from the begining of the hatching before they are moved there might be a small change.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….